1REMOTE MIDI panel, where is it? 2 why there is out and in and other from to etc, in the source column?

Hi
I’ve purchased bome network pro licenses on desktop and iOS. They are on the same wired lan across adaptator for iPad and an Ethernet switch. The 3 machines, windows 10, Mac mini M1 and iPad Air 3 see each other and communicate. BUT:

I can’t see on the iPad or on the Windows, the midi devices attached to the Mac mini by usb and I can’t see the midi device attached to the Windows by usb on the other machines.

And I’m looking for the remote midi panel, and I need an explanation about all the automatic naming of sources and outputs.

It’s a lot of questions but I can’t see any manual.
I need some help to understand what seems to be a powerful tool.

best regards
Christophe

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

In order to see the ‘Remote Direct MIDI’ ports, you need to.

1. Open the Bome Network Tool
  2. Click on the remote host that you want to enable You will see the MIDI ports
    attached to that host
  3. Click the switch of any ports you want to enable until it turns green

Then you should be able to see those ports on your local device. The ports show up to application as ‘remotehostname’ followed by a colon and then the device name. In my example below, I’m enabling a few remote devices attached via network to my BomeBox, but the procedure is the same for ioS, Window, MacOS, Linux and Raspberry pi.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Ok thanks a lot for your quick reply, I will try that as soon as possible. And what about a manual?

There is not manual for Bome Network. For the most part, it is pretty much plug and play but fee free to ask questions here.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

OK thanks vey much. Now with the midi remote panel explained new possibilities are opened.
Christophe

Hi Steve,
i give up, i think there are too many possibilities of routing, and every time i try a new configuration it’s like nothing works like before in the pathways. And without any manual i’m not going to tchat or sending screen shots everytime it does not work. And it’s a lot of time i’ve been trying make it work.
Finally i use the apple studio midi and it’s fine and simple.
I purchased a 5 devices licence on desktop and a 5 devices licence on ios. Can i have a refund?
best regards
Christophe

I’ll pass your request to the Bome company owner.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

It would be helpful if you explained what you are trying to do. With Remote Direct MIDI, you generally do not need to create any manual routes.

For more advance routing (usually using Unlimited Virtual Ports), see this post.

When I first tested Bome Network Unlimited Virtual Port feature before it was officially released), I create this document for myself to avoid my own confusion. Again, this is really for more advance Bome Network Stuff and is usually not applicable unless you have purchased the Unlimited Virtual Port add-on.

Bome Unlimited Virtual MIDI ports are really just connectors or endpoints. Without routing, they actually do nothing as they are connectors to ‘nowhere’.

You need to use the Bome Network Router to make them actually useful by creating MIDI routes between the connectors and put real devices or applications on one end of a given connector.

The below is a summary of my discovery while experimenting with them:

INPUT to OUTPUT

When you create a Bome Virtual MIDI point you create two endpoints. One for INPUT and one for OUTPUT.
You can route the input of one port to the output of the same port to create a one way pipe. For instance if you have INPUT ‘A’ routed to OUTPUT ‘A’. Then with your application you can send MIDI to INPUT ‘A’ and whatever you send there will be also seen on OUTPUT ‘A’.

You can also direct two inputs to a single output with 2 routes. For instance if you have INPUT ‘A’ routed to OUTPUT ‘A’ and OUTPUT ‘B’, whatever MIDI comes in to INPUT ‘A’ will be seen on both OUTPUT ‘A’ and OUTPUT ‘B’.

INPUT to INPUT

Another thing you can do is direct an INPUT to another INPUT. This could be handy if you want to inject an input from one input port to another. You can then route the initial destination ports to other ports, creating a MIDI split function that can quickly be turned on and off with by checking or un-checking a given routing.

Example:
Route 1 - IN: A Virtual In ->IN: B Virtual In
Route 2 - IN: B Virtual In → OUT: C Virtual Out
Route 3 - IN: B Virtual In → OUT: D Virtual out

In the above, anything coming into either A or B will be sent to C and D. However, you could turn off Route 1 and then only B will be sent to C and D. A will essentially be turned off allowing only B to be split to C and D.

OUTPUT to INPUT
This is used for injecting an existing output port’s data into a different input connector (virtual ports only). You can take the output of one port and direct it to the input of another port.

Example
Route 1 - IN: A Virtual In → OUT: A Virtual Out - MIDI pipe as explained earlier
Route 2 - OUT: A Virtual Out → IN: B Virtual In
Route 3 - IN: B Virtual In - > OUT: B Virtual Out - MIDI pipe as explained earlier

Anything coming from input A will go to output A and input B which in turn will go to Output B. Anything coming from input B will only go to output B. Essentially we get a split on input from A (to A and B) and a pipe from B (B to B)

Note, that physical devices don’t seem to act as virtual ports for this example. For instance I cannot make a virtual port output look like a physical port input of an actual physical device. You cannot make actual device act like a virtual port.

For instance, the below example does not work:

Route 1 - IN: A Virtual In → OUT: A Virtual Out - MIDI pipe as explained earlier
Route 2 - OUT: A Virtual Out → IN: APC MINI

Rather you should do this:

Route 2 - OUT: A Virtual Out → IN: Virtual APC MINI
Route 3 - IN: Virtual APC MINI → OUT: Virtual APC MINI - MIDI pipe as explained earlier
Route 4 … - IN: Virtual APC MINI → OUT: (Any other destination)

Or you could do this to achieve the same result (but not represented as output to input) See OUTPUT to OUTPUT Below:

Route 2 - OUT: A Virtual Out → OUT Virtual APC MINI

OUTPUT to OUTPUT

You can duplicate output ports in this configuration essentially providing a MIDI split function

Example
Route 2 - OUT: A Virtual Out → OUT: APC MINI
Route 3 - OUT: APC MINI → OUT: BMT 1

Route 2 above creates a new output to my attached APC MINI device. Everything coming in Virtual Port A (which is a Pipe to Virtual Port A Output) will go to my APC MINI

Route 3 will also send anything that is going to the APC MINI to BMT 1 Output

In summary:
When the source is input and destination is output you create a 1 way pipe
When destination is input you are injecting the MIDI data from the source (input or output) to the endpoint. This appears to only work with Virtual MIDI ports if you are injecting to a destination input.
When the source and destination are outputs you are essentially duplicating existing ports to allow for a MIDI split function.
It appears that the quickest way to get a MIDI merge function is to take multiple existing INPUTS as a source and route to a single OUTPUT as a destination.

NOTE: This all appears NOT to work correctly with BMT Ports if used with Bome MIDI Translator PRO since BMT ports cannot be routed between themselves and one and only one end of a BMT port connection must be MT Pro while the other end must not.

Also virtual MIDI ports generated by other applications such as LoopMIDI or LoopBE may behave different as most appear to be MIDI pipes.

There are limitations when including physical ports into the mix as described above. Best to create virtual port connections with the physical ports and use applications with the virtual port connectors only. Attempting to inject into a physical port input does not seem to work, although routing signal to output does.