Apparent midi clock loop - clock from iPad (via Bome Network) is being doubled

Will Midi Clock work reliably as a translator?

I’ll try that! Even if just to know if it works.

Thanks again Steve!

Yes it will

Wow!

BomeBox is an AWESOME tool!

What is Mobius? It looks like it is on BomeBox DIN but I thought that is how you are connecting BeatBuddy to mioXM. Is it hanging off of a daisy chain?

So it looks like iPad sends clock to the following via the HST10 port to mioXL

XR18 - DIN1
CP4 - DIN2
YC61 - DIN 3
Beat Buddy - DIN4
Blofield - HST2
VL3X - HST3

It is also sending clock to the Beat Buddy via the BomeBox DIN port

Could this be the problem?

Also, is there a reason you send clock back to the iPad?

Here is my rough draft I sketched on your configuration. The Red indicates Clock signals.

“Mobius” is a Strymon Mobius modulation pedal, and it’s connected to the DIN ports on the BomeBox itself. This connection does not involve the BeatBuddy in any way and the Mobius Is the only device on those ports.

None of my gear is daisy-chained. It’s 100% hub and spoke.

Just now I unplugged the DIN out port on the Mobius to make sure it’s not sending back and doubling midi clock through the BomeBox.

You have correctly diagrammed what I was trying to do. What you’re calling “HST10” is actually “RSV1” on the MioXM and it’s aliased “iPad (BomeNet)” in the MioXM. It’s one of MioXM’s 3 phantom routing points usable to create your own user routes. I aliased it “iPad (MioXM)” in the BMTP project and did route it to/from “iPad (BomeNet)” which is the Bome Network connection to the iPad.

I had tested your theory of the midi clock return to the iPad already - I had turned off the the iPad (MioXM) → iPad (BomeNet) route in the BomeBox. It made no difference (clock doubling and tripling continued), so I concluded that midi clock was not being reflected back.

Also, what you don’t see in the screenshots I sent you is I had turned off the BeatBuddy’s “sync” output so it doesn’t return midi clock. For belts and suspenders I used MioXM’s filtering to block midi clock on the return channel of all the connected hardware (I suspected a while back that I could get clock doubling from mirrored signals). Just now I double-checked that filtering in the MioXM and it’s correctly turned on as you can see in this screenshot:

The MioXM is filtering midi clock on all the potential return channels I can think of: XR18, CP4, YC61, BeatBuddy, SS2, Blofeld and VLX3. In addition, MioXM is filtering all the “Device Port to Computer/DAW” routes, which are how all my translators communicate from BomeBox.

I had also tested this yesterday in a different way: I deactivated every single one of the MioXM routes one at a time and watched the BeatBuddy to see if clock doubling/tripling was still occurring. It was.

You are so persistent. Bome Software is truly lucky to have you Steve, as are we in the Bome user community!

OK, I’m sure we will figure this out at some point. Good night.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Just for the heck of it, I opened AUM on the iPad and started midi clock. Result: rock steady tempo on the BeatBuddy.

I opened an audio unit softsynth and a midi processor. Result: no change in temp on the BeatBuddy.

I feel I have proven my case that this is likely a CamelotPro bug.

Thanks again for all your incredible help! I will keep you posted.

1 Like