arturia keystep step position with launchpad pro

Yes, I believe the LP Pro has a different LED map than the LP Mk2. You would think that since it is the same manufacturer, they would make them the same. It is even different that the LP MINI but I understood that since the lights on the LP MINI are only two primary colors.

The only thing I see missing is the start message.

FA

Maybe you will need to start it manually or with the first timing clock.

Yes, most computers calculators have a conversion (programmers) mode to help you with the coversion.
If you go to the Novation Music site and search on Launchpad Pro Programmers Reference Guide, you should find what you need

Also, if you enter the values in rules in hex (ie ox0a), when you come back to them MT Pro will convert them to decimal (10) automatically. So you might as well enter the values in the rules in decimal.

I found the programmers manual and I believe the project translator pp numbers are correct but I am not sure if the output message is correct it looks too long but I am not sure. The programmers note layout is attached.

Attachments:
1525097625372_1525024441813_Keystep-Visualiser-2018-04-30.bmtp
![](upload://coxxKAA456J3a7L1wjbSxKm6w7m.jpeg)

Apparently this device has different modes each with their own note layout. You might want to ensure that it is in the mode you want. Look at page 4.

In the output, I’m turning on the new note and then turning of the last note.
90 pp 127 = Note on
80 qq 0 = Note off (last note)

Ive put it in the programmers mode as that corresponded I believe to the project file that was sent where it starts at 81 decimal for pp. The message makes sense now. So I wonder why it doesnt light up.

Success! The controller has to be on port 2, so now I have 16 lighting up so just to amend the rules to use all the grid. I dont know what the sequencer spits out so we know when it gets back to its repeat cycle. The keystep has a max of 1 to 64 steps.

81 would be in stand alone mode programmer layout. I’m not sure what the default is. If Note layout it would be 71 (both in decimal). I would recommend that upon startup you send the Sysex to put in the mode you want to ensure consistency.
F0 00 20 29 02 10h 2D 01 F7 – Stand alone mode
F0 00 20 29 02 10h 2C 03 F7 – Programmer layout
Then 90 51 7F should light up the first row column 1 (51 is hex for 81 decimal)

Glad to hear you are making progress. Looking forward to seeing the final solution. Maybe you can post it here for others when done? Also once you get working, please mark the thread as resolved. Let me know if you run into any other snags, Peter.

Steve

Ive attached a 64 step version so far matched to the color red the same as the keystep.

It goes to programmer mode now as you suggested.

The sequence length is interesting as the keystep appends dynamically so I think its best left across the whole grid of 64 and the shorter sequences just repeat around that. Of course your ideas are welcome.

The note mode would be nice as I could see the notes the sequence is playing but mapping then might be problematic.

I wonder if I could set the length first before i start the sequence by pressing the desired length but not sure about it.

maybe other users can give some thoughts too as I would like this to show off the beauty of the bomebox and MT pro

Attachments:
1525157376019_1525024441813_Keystep-Visualiser-64-step-working.bmtp

Hi Peter,

I’m glad you got it working and thanks for posting! Yes, you could set the length by maybe doing something like this.

Set up a translator to monitor incoming notes from your Launchpad Pro to set the length. You can have it monitor the note value and set a global variable based on the note value (button pressed). Then in you current translator that cycles through the note (Send Sequence) put in a line that monitors for that note value and when equal, restart the sequence. from there.

Hi Peter,

I made a few mods to your project file but I don’t have a Launchpad Pro to test it.

1. Instead of hard coding each number played, I calculate it based on the note counter
  2. I set a last note to play so you can restart the sequence at any pad you wish.
  3. I use a one shot timer (named Init) to initialize global variables either the start sequence or pressing computer keyboard ESC key

To change the number of steps, you set the global variable gg in the Init Preset, Init Global Variables translator.

I also document and initialize all global variables here.

All the calculations and heavy lifting is done in the KeyStep Visualiser Preset, Send Sequence translator

I hope you find this useful.

Whoops, here is the attachment

Attachments:
1525237696662_Keystep-Visualiser-64-step-working-caldwell-2018-05-01.bmtp

Ive created a new version that has a global variable gs ive split out a 16 step and 8 step translator. each individually will work, if i have both translators ticked then the 16 will work if i press pad 16 to set the variable but the 8 step will not work unless the 16 is off. I am not sure why that is.

However I think it is getting close. I guess I need 64 translators and I would like to set the length to whatever.

I had hoped I could use just one translator and have an if then end block but I wasnt sure that was possible so I went for a different translator.

A point in the right direction would help a lot as I just cannot see why the translators are conflicting. I think its a translator mindset thing.

Attachments:
1525616208592_1525024441813_Keystep-Visualiser-64-step-input-step-size.bmtp

Ive just posted a new comment, I didnt see how I could restart the sequence from the launchpad pro, yet so havnt restarted from within the one code block.

Youll see what I did in latest post before this one now. it is crucial that the sequence size remain identical to the keystep but I think thats best done manually and set before I start the sequencer for now.

H Peter did you try the one I created and attached ?

Keystep-Visualiser-64-step-working-caldwell-2018-05-01.bmtp

The way I set that up is you could change the last LED by changing the global variable gg. This can be changed in Preset 0 Translator 1 or you can set up other mechanisms to change the variable gg if you would like.

I also calculated the LaunchPad Pro LED lights to light instead of hard coding them.

If you look at rules under 1.2 (send sequence) you can see the calculations. I calculate the right note value by row and column.
According to the documentation Row 1 square pads are 0x80 – 0x89 Row 2 0x71-0x79 etc. I don’t have a Launchpad Pro so I hope my calculations are correct.

Please check it out before spending more time on yours. You can actually set the length of the sequence to stop
at any note number.

Hi,

I found a few bugs in last version. Try this one instead. Turns out programmer mode of Lauchpad Pro has same notes as Session Mode in LaunchPad Mk2 so I was able to test it.

You can press any of the square pads on your Launchpad Pro and it that sets the last note sequence of your lights.

Attachments:
1525630386671_Keystep-Visualiser-64-step-working-caldwell-2018-05-06.bmtp

I missed this one.

I have added a translator to get the value put iit in a global variable then ive assigned that to the other translator variable. it now wants too start at the second block column and then it reverts to the first thereafter. I tried to make it set a value first based on my choice before I start the sequencer then dynamically during the sequence after that. It makes sense to me that I might stop the sequence and alter the length but as soon as I do that it starts at column two again. However, I think it is close.

Attachments:
1525708156895_1525237696662_Keystep-Visualiser-64-step-working-caldwell-2018-05-01.bmtp