BomeBox changes output assignment Motif Rack after starting a Midi file

When I connect my (old) Motif Rack Sound module to the USB Port (over a USB HUB) on my BomeBox, the Motif Rack get a command to set oll assigned Outputs to Output L/R by starting a Midi file with Notation Composer4. After reloading the Multi, the output assignment is ok, as stored in Motif Multi. Connecting the Motif directly to the PC´s USB Port it runs correctly. Has anyone an idea ???

Hi and welcome to the Bome forum!

My guess is that your project file has aliases and that when you start it on BomeBox that the project file both sets the MIDI routes (based on project file routing definitions) and assigns the aliases as they were last known on the BomeBox. Generally all you need to do is to re-assign the aliases on the BomeBox and the next time it will remember them. However, if the USB port configuration changes (ie by adding a hub), then you may need to re-assign the aliases again.

Does this make sense?

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Hi Steve,
I use only Standard Routing from the Box. I wonder that when my Motif is connected without the Bome Box, directly to the PC´s USB Port, running with Windows10, its running ok. Maybe the Windows USB Driver for the Motif handles the data different to the ALSA Linux driver you use in the Bome Box.
However I try to re initialize the Multi with a PRG change Message in the first stroke of the Midifile to re initialize the Multi and hope the problem is solved.
Best Regards
Kharl

Hi, it is possible that Notation Composer sees a small difference in the port name when connecting over the hub and either defines it as a different device type (internal vs external) and also possibly determines it is no longer the default device.

It would be interesting to see what port name is shown on BomeBox when plugged in directly vs plugged in via the MIDI hub.

Steve Caldwell

Hi Steve,
I will check on Monday.
However:
I found a workaround. When I add a Prg Change in the first beat it works. Unfortuately I need to add prg chganges after for each track.than… However, it seems that whith the midi file start command there is send a command to the Morif which affects the multi setting in the Motif.
As mentined before, I think it could be related to the USB driver. Because I had this problem in former situatiations where I made some projects with Linux and Alsa driver … And Yamaha officially supports only Windows and Mac OS…
Next Step, i will change to DIN Midi Port and will see what happen.

Keep you informed and thanks for your support

Kharl

You could always monitor the MIDI signals coming from Notation Composer to see what it is sending using Bome MIDI Translator Pro. Or if you have unlimited MIDI ports option of Bome Network Pro.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz