BomeBox issue: missing ports when running Translator file?

Hello,

First time poster, new user of MIDI Translator Pro and BomeBox.

My setup:

Controller to PC

1. Akai APC-40 -> USB IN on BomeBox
  2. BomeBox -> BomeBox Net
  3. BomeBox Net - > Windows laptop running MIDI Translator Pro

And back out to my Octatrack

1. Windows laptop running MIDI Translator Pro -> BomeBox Net
  2. BomeBox Net -> BomeBox
  3. BomeBox MIDI Out -> MIDI IN on Electron Octatrack

I have a project I created in MIDI Translator Pro with a handful of translations. While the project is open, I am able to see the BomeBox, receive events from the APC-40, translate them, and send them back out to the Octatrack.

While doing this, there is no project loaded on the BomeBox. The flow of traffic appears to be very simple: events from APC-40 go into computer, computer translates them, and translated events get sent back to Octatrack. The MIDI activity light on the BomeBox flickers when I move anything on the APC-40.

Where I’m having problems is when I upload the Translator file to the BomeBox and make it active. The MIDI activity light on the BomeBox stops working, and my Octatrack doesn’t receive any events.

I suspect that there is something on the BomeBox MIDI port routing page that I need to do, but I can’t find anything in the manual (pg. 18-20) to point me in the right direction, or there is something I just don’t understand yet.

Is anyone able to point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Nick

So assuming you want to eventually run your project exclusively on BomeBox with no PC, right?

Here is what you would need to do.

On your PC in MIDI Translator Pro, create 2 aliases

My APC-40 MKII
My Octatrack

Then assign the alias so that My APC-40 MKII point to your BomeBox Input Network Port
Then assign the alias so that My Octatack points to your BomeBox Output Network Port

Then test the configuration again to ensure it still works. When testing, on your BomeBox make sure that no project is loaded. By default when no project is loaded, all ports will be routed, to all other ports (which is why it worked for you).

Once you have tested this configuration, upload your project file and start it on BomeBox.
Then assign the aliases to the actual devices on your BomeBox
My APC-40 MKII -> APC40 MKII (USB)
My Octatrack -> MIDI DIN OUT Port

Now your connection is severed with your PC (unless you defined any other paths in the project file) and you can run everything exclusively on BomeBox.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz
1 Like

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

I built the aliases as instructed and I think I was able to get it to work with the computer connected to the Bome network; I made sure that only my aliases were ticked in the project properties, and I was able to get communication to work.

After uploading the Translator file to the BomeBox, I tried tinkering with the MIDI Ports page as instructed in your reply above, but it didn’t seem to work by itself. I am certain it’s user error on my part.

However, I did get it to work by tinkering with the MIDI Routes page.

What I did:

Source: My APC40
Destination: My Octatrack

If this is correct, I’ll leave it alone.

If you think I missed something, I’ll try it again.

Thanks

Nick

If you have the aliases defined within BomeBox, no additional routing should be necessary. You should be able to

1. Load your project (assuming both aliases and routes are set correctly)
  2. Assign your aliases on the BomeBox Alias assignment page.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz
1 Like