BomeBox serial port out question

Yes that one doesn’t work, right?

Yes that chip is on the uno.

I assume the Mega is using a rectangular chip and it works. That would be the CH340.

I just found this at Amazon. Three for lest than $20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KK367N8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2K4DGCC72N9AG&psc=1

They are not Arduino but are knockoffs so there is some risk. Again you might be able to find them on eBay for under $5 each.

Steve

Interesting. , I will order one and try it

Is there any way at all for him to come up with a firmware update so I can use the other Arduino boards I had another Arduino mega but that one did not work must be a different chip I’m going to check into
it

I think the question is if those don’t work what else doesn’t work with that port?

please if you can ask him to update the firmware or whatever needs to be done I would appreciate it

I’m pretty sure he is working on it. His documentation clearly states that it works with “some” serial port implementations. I think his objective is to capture the big hitters.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Hi @neelwell7, we’ll report back here our results of testing and how you can get an update. It’ll take a few days. Best regards.

Thank you.

There are a few other things that I have tested with the usb port coming from the bone box that does not work, so a firmware update would be ideal keep me posted thank you so much
Thank you.

BomeBox does NOT work with all types of USB connections only:

1. MIDI Class Compliant
  2. Query Keyboard through USB hub (most)
  3. Serial Connection vie USB hub (many)
  4. Some Bluetooth dongles - ie WidiBud

No - Audio, mouse, joystick and anything else.

What were you trying that didn’t work?

Please see the specifications

https://www.bome.com/products/bomebox

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Well I did say I tested it with a few other things that didn’t work

Well that list pretty much cleared it up,

There are some things that it works with and somethings that it doesn’t

just like computer

The Computer, works with almost everything, but there are some things that it doesn’t work with either, but the computer will work with All arduino cards.( but computer is too bulky for my needs
The bome box still comes in handy, and pluss i need it for the small form factor.
But it would be better if it would work wit all arduino cards like the computer not just 1 or 2.

If HE can just get the Arduino snaffoo straightened out that would be nice.
I did order those arduino boards , hopefuly those will work, that will be 10 diffrent arduino boards i have
THERE EVERY WHERE LOL.

The ones I pointed you to have the CH340 chip so should work. I think about 50% of those out there have this chip, but as things more forward, there will be a higher percentage with the new chip.

Steve

I did indeed receive the three new Arduino boards today, the ones with the CH 340 chip.

I tested all three and they did indeed work with the bomebox, after some things I had to adjust.

Your sketch is still working flawlessly.
here is one thing I discovered that may come in handy for someone Else who decides to use an Arduino in this configuration.

Once you get everything set up the way you want, and download the sketch to the Arduino, and you’re testing it in (Midi Translator Pro).
This is one thing that might be important to do.
In your outgoing section where you have your serial port set up, once you find your com port , and create your alias, you want to go down to configure port.
In your serial port config box, where it says (BAUD RATE), you want to change rate to ------115200— and check the arduino board , useing the test button.
( Your TX AND RX LIGHT SHOULD BLINK every time you click test) . if the tx and rx lights are not blinking, it will not activate the relay.
and make sure you check the box ( USE THIS SERIAL PORT AS MIDI DEVICE) or the serial port will not show up in the port configuration , when you transfer the sketch to the bome box.
I figured I would share this information because maybe someone else can also use it in it’ll make things a lot easier for them.
But the boards indeed work, thank you for the lead.

Awesome. Thanks for the update!

So for 20 USD you now have 3 more Arduinos that work for you. Thanks for the tips. I think I emailed you these instructions but since the sketch is currently not publicly available it didn’t make sense to post them.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

indeed