Connecting the BomeBox

Now I have found something. On my iPad, there was an open tab with an error message:

What does that mean?

Another thing: After closing the tab with the error message and restarting the Bome Network on my iPad and connecting the BomeBox, I am seemingly able to upload the project, the error did not appear this time, but the project and all the other projects are not displayed and therefore I cannot close it in order to work on Bome Translator Pro for development.

Is there any documentation containing error conditions like this one (‘must be signed by Vendor’)?

The error message about must be signed by the vendor means you are using the trial version of Bome MIDI Translator Pro instead of the paid version. The trial version does not sign the project file where the paid version does. You need to create or update the project files with the paid version otherwise, they will not be usable on BomeBox.

I’m not sure why uploaded projects are not displayed. I have not been able to duplicate this issue. I still suspect there may be a problem with file naming of the project. Please make sure file names do not have apostrophes, quoted or any other special characters that may confuse the file naming convention. I HAVE seen this kind of issue before.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

I’m definitely not using the trial version. I sent you the project and you can inspect the file by an editor. You will see the signature at the end. Because it’s licenced, I cannot use the trial anymore.

Of course I’ve tried it without the hyphen in the name, same result. I have used the file before and it worked.

Moreover, all tutorial presets are not uploading too.

Why don’t you recommend resetting the Box? Is there any danger that the Box is unuseable afterwards?

Resetting the box to factory settings is not a problem. I just considered it last resort. Please download any project files you need before resetting it. Also, you will need to reconfigure the wireless and ethernet setup and re-assign passwords (network and login).

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Hi Steve,

After several resets I found:

You were right with the hyphen. It can set the box in a strange state, so that other projects with no hyphen in the name cannot be uploaded as well. That’s why I thought it’s not the hyphen. So with the box everything looks normal again.

The problem I have now is that Bome Translator Pro does not recognize the BomeBox DIN and my keyboard anymore. (The project in the BomeBox is closed, by the way.) The log reads:

MIDI OUTPUT ‘MyBomeBox: BomeBox DIN’ does not exist. It is set to ‘pending’.
MIDI INPUT ‘MyBomeBox: Piano de Voyage’ does not exist. It is set to ‘pending’.

I’m sorry this seems to be an endless story.
I have no idea why Bome Translator Pro does not see the plugged in gear anymore.

Alex

On your PC, open the Bome Network Tool after BomeBox connects and the devices are plugged into BomeBox, click on the twisty to show the connected ports. Then turn off and on the switches and then Bome Network should recognize them. If that doesn’t work, shut down Bome Network (from the menu tray), and restart it.

Then start Bome MIDI Translator Pro on you PC.

Another thought is that some MIDI applications insist on opening all available MIDI ports on a given PC. Make sure that these MIDI applications are either not running or deselect the MIDI port in the other application. On Windows, MIDI ports are only available to one application and it is on a first request first serve basis, so it is possible another application is holding the port open and not allowing Bome MIDI Translator to open it.

No problem, that is why we are here.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

What do you mean by ‘twisty’?

Do you mean this:

Or do you mean this:

I have checked and unchecked everything I could, with no effect on the Bome Translator Pro.

This. The switches.

You get to it by clicking here.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Oh I see. I’ve never clicked on that one. This also explains what ‘Remote Direct MIDI’ means, which I asked for 3 days ago.

The 2 aliases still showed ‘unplugged’ in the Bome Translator Pro, but after deleting them and adding them again they show ‘open (implicit)’ and everything works fine :+1:

I also opened and closed the project on the BomeBox Network Tool in order to see if I can swich from development to usage (detached from PC) and back again. Works like a charm :+1:

Once again many thanks for your help.

Alex

That is awesome. Glad you got it working :+1:

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care