Mackie C4 and Cubase. How to make the encoders work?

HI, I did some work for a user that has some limited functionality using the Mackie MCU protocol.

In general, I can get one row of V-POTs to behave like Mackie MCU V-POT and then maybe use some of the other encoders to do stuff like faders and misc programmable CC functions. It isn’t pretty but it kinda works. The big difficulty is getting the scribble strips working like you would like. The reason is the the text length of a scribble strip on a C4 is shorter than a MCU so you need to strip a few characters. Also it is next to impossible to update all 4 rows of scribble strips (unless you hand code things in MT Pro) since Mackie MCU has no knowledge of more than 8 scribble strips.

If you want, you can contact me via email and if you give me an idea of what controls you want to perform a given functionality, I can give you an estimate.

The other option is to write your own MIDI remote script for the C4. It would be written in Python and be quite involved and expensive unless you wanted to just have some basic functionality. With that, basic functionality is probably more easily achieved with MT Pro anyway.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Thank you for the quick replay!

I’ve come to realize that I make better mixing decisions with the computer screen off. So dream scenario would be if I could select a channel with the MCU, and the plug-in parameters of the first plugins would pop up on the C4 with scribble text.
It’s possible to control plug-in parameters from the MCU with pressing some buttons, so I thought maybe it could be possible from the C4 as well if Ableton recognizes it as a MCU. However I understand that it is not so straight forward and the sollution probably will be very hacky since the MCU don’t have any awareness of more than eight text boxes.

How do you go about using python to write a new controller script? Do you have anything I can read to get me started maybe? :thinking:
Could possibly also try to check the interest on ableton forums to collect money to hire you to do it.

Jørgen

Jørgen

For automatic writing of MIDI Remote Scripts, try remotify.io. Unfortunately they will not support scribble strips however,

I’m currently not the best for MIDI remote scripts in Python. I’ve tweaked a few however the time it takes can be extensive (costly for you) and I don’t have a C4 so I don’t think I’d want to take this on. If you have a specific need for programming in Bome, however, reach out to me via email. Again, I would need to rely on you to do testing so the time and cost it takes might be more than you would like.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Ok, thank you for your replays, and thanks for offering to help. I will definitly look into remotify. :+1:t2: I will reach out to you on email if I have a more specific need. Thank you for your time!

Jørgen

OK sounds good. Good luck!

Steve

Hi I have just started diving into Python because of knobkraft (sysex librarian) and mainly because I have a Mackie C4 controller which I want to work with in Live 11. I have opened a repository here ( GitHub - markusschloesser/MackieC4_P3: A Mackie C4 Ableton 11 Remote Script, WiP ) and would very much like to get some feedback/help with this. The scripts kind of works but still has issues.

Now with Live 11 they switched to Python 3 and I actually managed to convert most stuff correctly. I also decompiled the Live 11 / Py3 scripts (_framework, Ableton, Mackie, Push), most of them successfully, which are in another repository.

What I need to do for my purpose is written down on GitHub, but my questions for today:

1. Are framework and v2 classes usable interchangeably? Can I mix or do I need to stick to one?
  2. Vpot_parameter vs deviceparameter (Mackie vs LOM): I mainly use the Mackie Control scripts as reference and within those for everything parameter related they use “vpot_parameter”. On the other hand everything that Ableton has written, they use what I would use when checking out the LOM model and that is "Live.DeviceParameter.DeviceParameter.value". I cannot find ANY reference on Ableton scripts w re to vpot_parameter and not ANY reference in Mackie scripts for "deviceparameter". Anybody got an idea why that is?
  3. How do I use/generate the stub when I have an XML and use pycharm? Do I actually need this when I have the framework classes added as root?
  4. I ask all this in the hope of fixing my Problem nr 1 on github (Boost error) last device deletion causes error · Issue #1 · markusschloesser/MackieC4_P3 · GitHub . It could also be that fixing this fixes other stuff as well.

Looking forward to your feedback! :slight_smile:

Hi, thanks for your questions, however they all have to do with Python and Ableton Live programming and as far as I can see there is note one Bome related question here.

These questions are probably more suited for the Ableton Live Forum.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Hi Steve,
i am aware and do apologize for straying a bit from the path! :slight_smile:
However as you can see, I am getting somewhere with my attempts and wanted to let the previous poster (@jorgen-s-jorgensen ) know, that there is something he could try, and of course ideally contribute to the making the C4 work without errors.
As there are very few people with a C4 AND Live I am seeking them out wherever I can.
Also this thread has been of tremendous help for me when it came to understanding how the C4 works, so I wanted to give something back. The Remote scripts are now heavily commented when it comes to sysex for encoders, the display etc and could be helpful as a knowledge source.
Best
Markus

Thanks, Markus!

Yes I thought it might help other users which is why I approved the post.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

2 Likes

Just in case, there is a new solution for C4 owners, targeted at Studio One, but might also work with other DAWs:

1 Like

Dear Florian and Steve,
i just want to inform you both, that i did not forget or trashed our C4 Cubase project. The pandemic maked further progress impossible, at least for me. I want to continue the project, if Steve is willing to help me further. I can assure anyone that Steve´s solutions are working with Cubase, but i would like to polish it, to make this project really outstanding.

1 Like

Yes, of course I’m available. Maybe there is something in Richard’s Project that we can find helpful as well. I haven’t looked at it yet.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

1 Like