Pre-purchase question about routing with Midi Translator Pro

I am using a Midi keyboard controller (Arturia Keylab 61 mk II), with a music notation program named “Sibelius”, with Windows 10. I would like MT Pro to convert Midi CC messages to various computer keystrokes (for example, “P”, or “End” or “Home”, etc.) I am trying it out the demo version of Midi translator Pro.

First, I made a few presets, and t tried it with the simple Windows “Notepad” application. It works fine, generating the desired keystrokes. However, with Sibelius, there seems to be a routing problem. When I start up MT Pro and THEN start Sibelius, then Sibelius gives an error message (“There is not enough memory available for this task.”) This is the standard Sibelius error message, when other Midi programs are running.

When I start Sibelius first, and THEN start MT Pro, Sibelius recognizes MT as one of the input devices. However, MT Pro gives this error message in the log window:
“MIDI INPUT ‘KeyLab mkII 61 1’ cannot be opened (maybe in use by another program?). It is set to ‘pending’.”

With either approach, Sibelius does not recognize the Midi CC commands, converted to keystrokes. So it would seem to be a routing problem. What should my routing be in MT Pro?

Thanks in advance!

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

On Windows, only one application can access a given MIDI device Port at a given time.
So if you want to use Bome MIDI Translator Pro, always start MT Pro first and then assign it’s input device to your Keylab. Set up a MIDI thru path to a virtual port like Bome MIDI Translator 1 Virtual Port and then set up Sibelius to instead look at “BMT 1” which is the short name for the same port. That way all MIDI traffic will flow through from your Keylab to your application. Then you add translators in MT Pro for things that you want to change. Like converting MIDI messages to keystrokes or other MIDI messages. It is important that you do not try to access your KeyLab directly with any other applications, rather use the thru path from MT Pro.

If you want multiple applications (other ones besides Sibelius) then you can set up additional thru paths in Bome MIDI Translator Pro to other virtual ports. Bome MIDI Translator Pro can create up to 9 virtual input and output MIDI ports.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Thanks, Steve for your quick response!

While this setup does work with a DAW that I use, it still does not work
with Sibelius. Just to make sure I am correctly following your
suggestion, allow me to review:

MIDI INPUT is open for “KeyLab mkII 61 1”
MIDI OUTPUT is open for “Bome MIDI Translator 1 Virtual Out”
In the MIDI Router panel, I have drawn a line from “KeyLab mkII 61 1” to
“Bome MIDI Translator 1 Virtual Out”

This setup does not work with Sibelius. I also tried turning off my
Keylab until AFTER I started up the Sibelius program. In this way, I
avoided the Sibelius “out of memory” error message. In Sibelius, I have
activated “Bome Midi Translator” as the only Midi input device.
Nevertheless, Sibelius still does not recognize the keystrokes coming
through the Bome MT. However, when I play notes on the Keylab keyboard,
Sibelius DOES see the “Note On” messages coming through the Bome MT
Virtual port.

Do you have any other suggestions? Am I doing things correctly?

best regards,
–David Rubenstein

In order for an application to recognize keystrokes, the application needs to be the current application in focus. Did you try making sure you clicked on the Sibelius window prior to sending keystrokes with MT Pro?

From what I hear, MIDI is working good so the MIDI paths are now correct. Now just to get the keystrokes recognized.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz