Skipping cc values in ableton

Hi guys,

I was wondering if someone could help me out with my midi translation. Here is the thing Id like to achieve:

I have a K2 midi controller and I have a rotary knob mapped to (vst) delay times in ableton. In stead of all the delay times available I’d like to skip over three of them while turning the knob.
My idea was to translate and skip over or swallow the cc values sending from my knob that are relative to the cc range that hits the delay times id like to skip. Is this the right approach or should I be doing it in a different way?

I can send my script that I have so far. Hope someone can help me out.

Best,

Tom

1 Like

This is certainly, possible.

A set of rules for skipping would likely be something like the below (based on a range).

Incoming: CC#1 on MIDI CH1 set value to qq

// Skip values 12-15
if qq<12 then skip next 2 rules
if qq>15 then skip next rule
exit rules, skip outgoing action
// Not 12-15 - Default is to execute outgoing action

Outgoing: CC#1 on MIDI CH1 value qq

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz
1 Like

Hi, I’m not sure if you are the same person that also sent email but in the email, the question specified specific ranges. The attached shows skipping values 19-33, 38-60 and 58-70 expanding on my original post (allowing multiple ranges).

Skip-Ranges-2021-02-26.bmtp (1.3 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

1 Like

Hi Steve,

Thanks a lot for your reply and the example file. I was certainly way off in my approach I see. Thing that has me confused though. Since it’s a rotary knob which value do I select for the in and out coming message? For each of the 127 values there is a new input. Tried the zero and first one but that didn’t work for me. The dial in ableton still takes the whole range. Hope we can figure this one out :slight_smile:

Hi,

Incoming should be set to qq (which is a local variable) with ANY value.

The rules, will then take that value and if it is in one of the ranges you mentioned, send nothing, otherwise it will send the same outgoing values (qq) as came in.

As far as what Ableton Live wants to see in values, I’m assuming you already figured that out which is why you defined the value range you wanted suppressed.

You should be able to use MIDI learn to determine which CC to use. I just picked CC0 on MIDI CH 0 but you could set it up for any CC and channel you want in Ableton Live.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Hello Steve,
This is just a general " Thank You" for taking the time to produce these specific, informative responses to so many customer questions. I’ve found little need to ask additional questions because you cover topics so thoroughly. Just thought I’d take a moment to send a sincere thank you and say that Bome is very fortunate to have you.

Many thanks again for helping out! I think we’re close. In my case the rotary is on CC#4 / channel 16.

I have it working as a stand alone now. Meaning that I have to exclude the remote input from my K2 controller in ableton which doesn’t allow the rest of my functions to work and therefor not ideal in my case. Is there a routing work around for this? I need the k2 remote input in Ableton on for other functionalities once I add this to my full midi script which I also use for led toggles. I tried to have the translator assigned to specific ports (In: K2, Out: Translator Virtual Out) but that didn’t do the trick.

So in short: It works when midi input in Ableton only is set to the Midi Translator (K2 remote OFF) but I need it to work with also the K2 remote turned ON.

Not sure if this is getting too complicated for a free consult but willing to pay for a solution here.

Hi Tom,

First set up MIDI THRU paths between your K2 and Live so that all other MIDI messages get through MT Pro.

Second, add another translator with Incoming CC4 CH16 any value and output of None. Make sure it is also set to option “Swallow”

This will ensure that the existing translator handles CC4 MIDI CH 16 and the newly added translator blocks output to the MIDI thru path. This step is necessary because:

““exit rules, skip outgoing action”” by itself will not block the MIDI thru path even with swallow set. Swallow only works if

1. The outgoing action executes or
  2. The outgoing action is NONE

All other MIDI should then be handled by the static MIDI thru paths you create.

K2 -> MT Pro -> BMT 1 - Ableton Live
Ableton Live -> BMT 1-> MT Pro ->K2

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Hi, and I always welcome paid consulting and will let you know if things go beyond scope for free support here. If interested, drop me an email and I will provide my rates. Also with paid consulting, I can set up teleconferences with you as needed instead of only forum type of support.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

I feel like I’m so close but yet I couldn’t get it working… I attached some screen shots maybe for you to see what I’m doing wrong here. I tried to follow your routing paths but the one I made in the screenshot is the only one where all functions work properly, except the range skip for CC#4 unfortunately :frowning:

Hi, you are indeed close.
I attached a new project file with the MIDI routes set.

First here are the alias settings.

Now the routing (Almost always use aliases instead of physical ports as it is much easier to move
things around later).

In Ableton Live you should never try to connect directly to the device directly. Route everything to MT Pro.

If you have a MIDI remote Script running it should look similar to this except the control Surface should be the name of your MIDI remote script instead of None.

For anything from your K2 you should set BMT 1 Input and output under Remote. I’m using BMT1 elsewhere on my computer so it should not show orange color as shown below.

XONE:K2 should not be checked

Here is the project file. I didn’t test it as My K2 is on MIDI CH 14 and I didn’t take the time to figure out how to change it to MIDI CH 16

Xone-K2-Skip-CC-2021-02-27.bmtp (1.6 KB)

I guess you could probably have had a direct return path to your K2 from Ableton Live but I usually like to keep things symmetrical and under better control from MT Pro.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

1 Like

Whoops I neglected to change the output MIDI CH and CC on translator 0.

It is fixed in the attached.
Xone-K2-Skip-CC-2021-02-27a.bmtp (1.6 KB)

Its working!! Couldn’t thank you enough for all the help sir! You definitely made my weekend! :grin:

Glad to help!

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care