Using Bome with Ableton Live midi mapping - Morningstar MC8 MIDI Controller

Hi, I’m trying to figure out the best way to work in Ableton using the Morningstar MC8 controller along with Bome for keystrokes and Ableton’s midi mapping. Trying to get a few buttons midi mapped in Ableton live 11 and some keystrokes working using Bome. They work individually but haven’t figured out if they can work simultaneously. Seems one device, Bome or Ableton,wants to take precedent. Maybe there is a setting to allow multiple inputs?

I’ve posted in Morningstar forum as well. I’m not sure which

Hi and welcome to the Bome Forum!

Indeed, if you are sending both MIDI messages and keystrokes simultaneously to Ableton Live and the MIDI message has a mapping in Ableton Live, there could be a conflict.

The best way to handle this is to route all MIDI through Bome MIDI Translator to Ableton Live and then use translators in Bome MIDI Translator to determine which message should be passed along to Ableton Live.

MC8 → Bome MIDI Translator → Bome MIDI Translator 1 Virtual port (BMT 1) → Ableton Live

And reverse for any MIDI feedback

Ableton Live → Bome MIDI Translator 1 Virtual port (BMT 1) → Bome MIDI Translator → MC8

For keystrokes, Ableton Live (or any application will not recognize them unless)

1- Ableton Live is your currently focused and active applicatino
or
2 - You are using injected events (Windows only)

So in essence, anything you can map with MIDI instead of keystrokes I would recommend first.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

A post was split to a new topic: Morningstar MC8 Key commands through BomeBox