2 possible paths to solving glitchy, unwanted notes when playing fast on EWI:

Greetings,
As mentioned in the title, I am trying to solve this problem I have of glitchy unwanted notes while playing fast on the EWI. I have the Robkoo R1 EWI which has so many good features but the octave keys are awful to me. The 2 solutions I can think of so far is"

1. Create 36 unique fingerings with just 8 holes (which I’ve planned already) and assign MIDI Notes accordingly with Bome.However, here’s the problem that I need advice with. Some fingering combinations still send the same MIDI note message, which means I can’t isolate that fingering and change it to the desired note without affecting the other fingering. How can I kind of hack into my own EWI, does the EWI send any other CC messages that are unique and not repeated with other fingerings that allows me to assign a MIDI note to it? FYI ROBKOO won’t allow more than 20 custom fingerings.

2. A second solution, if the above is impossible, is to try to filter those glitchy high-pitched notes as I’m playing in real-time so that I can use the octave keys without worrying about them when playing really fast arpeggios for example. How would I go about that?

Thanks in advance.

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

Can you provide an example of this situation. Maybe I can advise.

What MIDI messages do the octave keys send? Note messages? Maybe we can convert these messages to CC to ensure notes do not sound. Do you have a copy of a user manual for this device?

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Hi Steve,

Sure, so it might be something like:

The fingerings x for closed hole and 0 for open hole.

x
x
x
x
x
x

and
x
x
x
x
will both send 48 as MIDI Note. So without the EWI manafacturer changing some settings I’m not sure I can hack into changing the Note.

Yes, you are probably right. The manufacturer probably should have coded it in binary based on the closed and opened holes. Then used a lookup on the values to determine the MIDI note number to send.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Thanks, I’m also working with Robkoo to try and increase their custom fingering options.

The 2nd option I mentioned was to try and filter out unwanted notes that occur when using the octave keys. This is a very common problem, and unless you play with robotic precision it can happen quite easily.

Please see attached image. In this case I was playing Partita in A by Bach and you can see some higher notes occur when transitioning from one octave key to another. If there’s a way to programme MIDI to take out those unwanted notes, it would help a lot!

screenshot

I forgot to mention, take out those unwanted notes in real-time, not in post editing.

Hmm about the only thing we might be able to do is determine a valid octave range from a stream of notes and if it falls out of that range, disallow it. Would take some analysis and maybe occasionally, a note you want to play wouldn’t play. I’d have to think a bit on how the logic would work on selecting the desired range.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

True, I’ll have to do some more analysis of when these glitches occur. Another possibility is the nature of the glitch is always a very short duration note and up usually up 7+ half steps, maybe could filter that. I’ll do some more experimenting.