A little help with the fundamentals please?

I could really use some help with understanding the fundamentals of MIDI Translator. I have a MIDI Keyboard that I have connected a MIDI cable from that keyboard’s MIDI Out to my computer’s MID Interface. There are no MID Out connections per se. That is to say there are no MIDI cables from the Interface back to my MIDI keyboard, the keys are just used as a controller to trigger Note on/off data, Aftertouch & CC data to the computer via the MIDI Interface & thus into the DAW. How do I get the MIDI Input data that comes into the translator software, translated & sent on to my DAW? Am I correct to say to do that I would need to create a MIDI Out from the translator to provide MIDI Input to my DAW?

This seems so simple, but I can’t seem to get the MIDI Event Monitor to register any MIDI info, no matter how I route the MIDI. I’ve watched videos on this site, I’ve read the Manual over & over (not something I usally do even once) & I am at whit’s end. I didn’t intend to ramble on so much, but I wanted to make sure I showed some effort on my part & hopefully can skip the replies of ‘read the manual’ & ‘watch the videos’. I do understand that most people don’t get bogged down at the pre-setup stage. I know I’m slow. Try to think of how you would explain this to your dog, if he got the MIDI bug. Just break it down, step by step. Nice & slow… What am I doing or not doing that I should or shouldn’t be doing or understanding?

Thank you in advance for any help I can get.

You use Bome Virtual Ports of Bome MIDI Translator Pro. You can have up to 9 in each direction and I believe by default, there are 3 in each direction. This can be changed in the Settings menu of Bome MIDI Translator Pro.
The below screenshot shows that I am currently using 8.

When looking at your devices (ports) in your application, you set up your device to match the virtual port being used in Bome MIDI Translator Pro. With that said, by default, Bome MIDI Translator uses ‘short names’ externally so in your application you may see them as ‘BMT 1’, ‘BMT 2’ etc.

At the project, preset or translator level, you define which ports you want to use.

For more information about device selection, seethis tutorial.

We have a lot of tutorial so I recommend you at least view the first two in our Bome MIDI Translator Pro series playlist.

Usually inside a DAW, your MIDI device is either a control surface for the DAW or a keyboard for performance. In most cases you will first assign desired MIDI inputs in your DAW and then go to the track in the DAW that you want to use and assign the MIDI input for that track to your device (or Bome Virtual Port if using MT Pro to convert or route MIDI messages).

I will give you credit for being much smarter than a dog as I don’t think any dog would understand any of this :wink: .

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz