Ableton Live 12 Basic Routing for Push 2 does not work

Hi. I use BMT as a way to keep my ports tidy and avoid crashes/conflicts between software, just do basic routing, virtual ports to physical (in and out). I have used BMT successfully with Live 11. Now with Live 12, if I set up Push 2 to use BMT ports, it does not work (does work if skipping BMT). Sometimes it does light up and flashes briefly but turns off. I have turned on active sensing messages in BMT. In Live 11 there are no issues. Something changed in 12 that is important to BMT.

Hi,

I’m sorry you are having problems! Unfortunately at this time I have no way to test this as I’m still on Ableton 11. Could you tell me whether you are on Windows or Mac and what version? Could you show me a screen shot of your MIDI settings? Also, are there any other MIDI applications running? Have you opened a ticket with Ableton yet? I’ll see what I can do about upgrading so that I can test your environment.

In the meantime. I suggest that you set up your MIDI setting the way you want them in Live and then shut it down. Open Bome MIDI Translator Pro prior to opening Ableton Live. Then check your setting again and see if that clears it. Make sure no other MIDI applications are running. If you are still having a problem, maybe open a ticket with Ableton until we have a way to test your configuration here.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Thanks for the prompt answer, Steve.

I truly see no point in opening a ticket with Ableton, as Push 2 in Live 12 works as expected if I not using BMT, so very likely that they will say that they cannot support third party software.

Did as you said, BOME always opens before Live. And still the same.

Further reading indicates this:

Indeed it is handled internally. Not liking that, really. Users have less control.

I guess Live grabs Push ports based on naming, automatically. Funny that you still can configure manually, tho, makes no sense.

Also I think Push have it’s own driver outside of MIDI that may use some HID function from it’s USB port. Maybe Ableton has a new driver for Push in Version 12.

I’m not sure where to go from here since I have no way to test it. I will escalate to see if someone on our end can talk to the Ableton Development team.

Also it looks like Ableton 12 is still in beta so maybe they are not finished with it yet and would be interested in the feedback.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Found this:

In Live 12, MIDI preferences are configured automatically when Push 2 is connected. It is not necessary to manually select Push 2 Control Surface, Input, or Output in Live 12’s MIDI preferences. When configured automatically by Live 12, Push 2 can be used as a Control Surface even though it is not shown in MIDI preferences.

Note: Manually adding Push 2 as a MIDI Control Surface in Live 12 may cause connection issues.

Yes, saw that. They changed the whole thing. Thanks for looking Steve.