Ableton: Scroll channels, +1 inc / -1 dec Vol & EQ params via midi footswitches (not expression pedals)

Hi, I have a small M-VAVE midi pedalboard that has

• 8x banks of 5x programmable foot switches

I’d like to use it via Bome in Ableton Live to select channels and tap incremental +1 / -1 on channel volumes and EQ plugin parameters. I’m new to this, but ideally I’d like to have something like…

1. Bank 1: Switch 1 = channels scroll left

2. Bank 1: Switch 2 = channels scroll right

3. Bank 1: Switch 3 = inc current channel volume by +1

4. Bank 1: Switch 4 = dec current channel volume by -1

5. Bank 1: Switch 5 = mute on/off current channel

6. Bank 2: Switch 1 = inc channel 2 plugin Lo-EQ parameter by +1

7. Bank 2: Switch 2 = dec channel 2 plugin Lo-EQ parameter by -1

8. Bank 2: Switch 3 = inc channel 3 plugin mid-EQ parameter by +1

9. Bank 2: Switch 4 = dec channel 3 plugin mid-EQ parameter by -1

10. Bank 2: Switch 5 = n/a (or maybe channel 3 EQ plugin on/off)

Is this possible? Thanks.

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

Since most of what you want to do, you cannot use MIDI learn you have a few options.

1. Look into remotify.io Control Surface Studio and see if you can create a MIDI Remote Script using the controls on your controller.

2. Attempt to convert MIDI to keystrokes along with mouse movement to see if you can do this as if you were doing it with a keyboard and mouse. The trick here is you need to place your mouse in specific areas of Live for either to work correctly. It can be done, but you must have everything in Live at fixed screen locations.

3. Use an existing MIDI Remote Script with Ableton Live for a different controller and then analyze what it sends and then set up a Bome Project to emulate the behavior of an existing controller.

Both 2 and 3 are pretty complicated so I would recommend option 1 for your situation. You might want to talk to them first before buying just to make sure it is possible.

The other options are possible but it would take quite a bit of time to figure it out and get it working which is why I’m recommending looking into option 1.

Another idea is it could be a hybrid of option 1 to get you 90% there and then a little trickery with Bome MIDI Translator Pro to get you over the finish line.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz
1 Like

Thanks for the detailed response, much appreciated!