Air Mouse with Bome?

Hi! I’m hoping to try using an Air Mouse - a kind of handheld remote that’s usually used to control slideshow presentations - with Bome, to ultimately send MIDI to Ableton. Would the Air Mouse controls (like Page Up, Page Down, Volume Up, Volume Down, etc.) be detected as incoming key strokes in Bome? Recently, though, I’ve been having trouble getting Bome to recognize key strokes even from my computer’s keyboard when I pre-select them from the drop down box. Like when I select “volume up” or “volume down” and then press those buttons on my MacBook’s physical keyboard, they aren’t detected, where as others like “arrow left” and “arrow right” are. So I’m mostly wanting to make sure that Bome would detect these kinds of key strokes via an Air Mouse. Thanks so much!

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

If the Air Mouse is recognized as a keyboard, it should work. With that said, by default Bome MIDI Translator Pro (MT Pro) will not recognize keystrokes if it has focus. This is set up that way to prevent actions from occurring while you are trying to use your keyboard to set up the program. You can change that behavior in the settings menu. View → Setting->Options.
ignore-while-focused

As far as mouse triggers, MT Pro will recognize incoming mouse triggers, however can send outgoing mouse actions.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

The Air Mouse just came in and everything works great! Thanks so much Steve for the tip about the incoming keystrokes. For some reason though, Bome still isn’t detecting the “volume up” and “volume down” button presses as keystrokes in, even when Bome isn’t focused. Would you have any ideas on what may be causing that?

There are other programs that might be running that are intercepting the volume key. Usually programs that control Audio. I know that Voicmeeter is a culprit on my system but I’m sure there are other programs that might be affecting this.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz