Akai Fire button RGB control translator

I’m new here, played with translator demo a little. Searching here didn’t quite show an answer for me. Basically I need to translate a midi message from the software I use and have MT output the sysex to light a button. I haven’t been able to find a preset that will do it so far (as far as my limited knowledge allows).

Is there a Preset available to use please? Screenshot of part the software’s config screen for interest

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

Hi, to send Sysex, you choose MDI Raw Message.

This article that I found shows how the Akai Fire recognized MIDI SysEX messages. I have no way to test it, since I don’t have an Akai Fire, however.

The attached translator will translate Note 64 on MIDI CH 1 to a SysEX message that turns Pad 4 Row 2 Full intensity blue as described in the article.

Akai Fire Demo.bmtp (901 Bytes)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Hi Steve, thanks for your speedy reply. I actually don’t have the hardware yet either, I’m going by the sysex output. I did try this demo and it did look like it sends the expected output.

I have almost no coding experience… Maybe in the rules I make a label and under it, set qq rr ss values. One for each colour I want. Using if-then, set my required velocity value to call the appropriate label?

So at the start of the rules, I have a list of if - then rules, then all of the label sets

badly explained, it’s late.

This is what I was thinking, vv is set to velocity

if pp>63 then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action
if vv>2 then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action
if vv==01 then Goto "red"
if vv==02 then Goto "green"
Label "red"
// red value
qq=127
// green value
rr=0
// blue value
ss=0
Label "green"
// red value
qq=0
// green value
rr=127
// blue value
ss=0

I think I need to add an 'exit rules and skip…" rule after blue in each label maybe

I now realise that I was trying to run before I could walk. Thanks for your tips Steve, I need to start at square one and build up. It’ll take a while.

I usually put a label called done at the end and go there for any cleanup

Label “Green”
pp=5
Goto “Done”

Label “Blue”
pp=6
Goto “Done”

Label “Done”
// any cleanup you want to do here then outgoing action will execute

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Hi,
The following project file is a map template for the Akaipro Fire.

The first preset handles everything coming from the Fire to the Application also provides a local loopback path for LED’s. Many things like colors are hard coded but have comments if you want to change them. You may want to set up translators that send different values to the application then you do for LED feedback.

The second preset will allow Fire Pad Matrix feedback from the Application using the same note number the Fire sends. For instance if the application sends note-on note 54. The value of the note velocity will set the color according to a bitmap value. Bit 6 is ignored. Bits 5 and 4 handle red intensity. Bits 3 and 2 handle green intensity. Bits 1 and 0 handle blue intensity.

It converts the note information to SysEX to send to the Fire to light the LED’s. Most applications like this method of sending LED feedback and although you will not get 127 color combinations for each color (you will only get 4), it should allow some useful LED feedback and may be easier for your DAW to send feedback to the Fire which only allows SysEX for LED feedback of the matrix buttons.

Enjoy!

Fire-Template-2022-09-09-forum.bmtp (14.8 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Wow! Thank you Steve!

Apologies for not responding for so long, life happened and I don’t seem to get email notifications. I have a feeling that you relished this challenge! I think I see what’s going on there and totally understand the limitation on output colour range. I think this will work. I’ll pick up a Fire as soon as possible and give you the results.

Again, thank you!

Martin

It took a while to get my head around the note velocity value vs RGB levels for the main pad lighting, so I made a list of every valid velocity value with the resulting RGB levels. Maybe useful to some
AKAI FIRE note velocity value to RGB chart.txt (754 Bytes)

Great,

Yes, I actually bought a used Akai Fire to develop the project. Now not sure if I want to keep it.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Now that really is dedication! If you do wish to get rid of it, perhaps we can come to a deal as I need to buy one.

PM me and we can see.