Akai Fire exclusively mapped?

Yes you can do that to, just remember the incoming timers on any presets that are not activated, will not do anything

Yes, that is a relative encoder . Here is a tutorial on how they work and perhaps how to convert to absolute.

And to convert to a keystroke.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz
1 Like

Sorry I should have known that by now. It was years ago when I first did relative to absolute.
Iā€™m kind of hitchhiking right now. Faster than walking tho.

I set it up like this:
Absolute To Absolute

Thatā€™s pretty standard. Got it working, but itā€™s really jittery. Probably because the device requires touch sensitivity to allow the knob torque to actually send anything. Itā€™s really bad design.

Anyway, I changed my mind and would prefer it to be the same as it is in the vanilla factory mode.
In that mode the knob simply tells the software knob ā€œforward or backā€ so I donā€™t have to wait for FLSā€™s pick up mode. It moves the knob wherever it is, and also doesnā€™t snap the value.

Can I get it to send -1 +1 absolute values? So that would make it absolute to absolute, but converting 1/127 to -1 +1. Donā€™t know if Iā€™ve ever come across this puzzle beforeā€¦ ĀÆ_(惄)_/ĀÆ

Forgot to say, I tried using two translators. Down translator triggers at value 1 and rules is pp=pp-1. Output value is pp. Up triggers at value 127 and pp=pp+1. Output is pp.
This doesnā€™t work at all. I get the output value of 2332423432432 or something.

FLS has an ā€˜incrementā€™ knob type. But doesnā€™t matter if the knob sends 1 or 127, it still increments up. The inverted increment formula does reverse it.

Ok so I made two translators. One triggers at 127 and sends 127 on cc 60. Default formula.
The other triggers at 1 and sends 127 on cc 60. Inverted formula.

Itā€™s a bit jittery at times, but seems to be working.

The FLS velocity envelope actually helps a little with the problem of having to hit the pads too hard.
Have it set to this on the MTP 1 port that my drum notes come in on.

Vel Curve

So the higher values are triggered a little easier. The softest hits are brought up a little bit. The pads canā€™t send a velocity less than 32. Thatā€™s not too bad though. You can see in the pic the vertical line is hitting at the softest (32). I brought it up a touch and the med hits are louder because they are hard to hit.

I got the full on velocity figured too. And I added a 100 velocity to it.
So I used this formula on a dedicated button, that lights up when the flag is on:
Full On Vel Rule

Put another button with pf=pf^1 for my 100 velocity toggle.
So every padā€™s note-on translator has this rule:
Vel Rules

If both toggles are off, the velocity is free to flow from input to output. If one of them is on, it sends at exactly that value. Each one cancels the other one out when hitting the button, and cancels their light on the controller. Done. Now onto transposing.

The forum is giving me crap for posting too much. :sweat_smile:
Iā€™ll be out of your hair soon enough. Just real excited about this.
These new discoveries are turning my frown :slightly_frowning_face: upside down :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi, youā€™ve posted a lot but Iā€™m having trouble figuring out the questions.

Are you looking to limit the velocity of the pads to something less than 127 when pushed?

For relative encoders. What output do you want to send when

1. Left turn
  2. Right turn

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

1 Like

The knobs work now. I posted above how I got it. Basically FLS can convert the incremental message for me but it only goes in one direction. So I did two translators per knob, with one being inverted.

Getting there, Iā€™m about 3/4 done this controller. Last one.
Since the pads are brighter when a pad button is pressed, Iā€™m trying to see if I can get FLS to send the MIDI note data back to MTP (that is pre-recorded to the FLS piano roll grid) and then send it to the controller, so during playback, the controller will be animated by the MIDI score in FLS. Is this possible? I tried all the routing possibilities I could think of. FLSā€™s output has a ā€˜send master syncā€™ button, but Iā€™m pretty sure thatā€™s just for the clock.

I believe you have to route the outgoing MIDI Track back to your AkaiPro Fire (or through MT Pro back to Fire if you want to modify the return velocity).

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

I was renaming things fast and hit some kind of key combo that made it look like this when renaming a translator:

What

I went through all the windows 10 options and tried pushing a bunch of things, but I canā€™t tell what happened here.

Try going into the field. and typing control-A (Select All) and then hit the delete key.
Then you should be able to assign it another name.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Ya that didnā€™t work. I donā€™t know, itā€™s some kind of alternate typing input thing. Itā€™s stuck like that. You can see itā€™s different than the regular rename way.

Anyway, I got it all figured. Each padā€™s output is remapped how I like and has its own dedicated global variable as its velocity. Have two buttons on the side that toggle-lock the velocity on all pads to either 100, 127 or off. When both are off, the pads are velocity sensitive going out to FLS.
Vel Modes

To get velocity sensitivity light feedback I used this formula on each pad light input.
Each pad light translator needed the corresponding global variable to work.

The light offā€™s are note off any velocity, no rules, same input.

So now if the velocity is 100, they blink orange. If 127 they blink red. Otherwise they blink white.
Got the playback light feedback too. FLS has a plugin called MIDI Out and sends MIDI data out from FLS. It wasnā€™t working for me before because I forgot about the octave difference between FLS and MTP. This is before I found the option in the settings.

These playback lights also had some bad latency on the note off. So I changed the note off inputs to note on and gave them a 100 ms delay. It works because itā€™s just telling the light to go back as it was before. The nice thing is these also respect the velocity. So it will blink the lights at whatever velocity the notes are on the piano roll, according to the same rules.

The problem is MIDI Out canā€™t be linked to a plugin for its input. You have to copy over the MIDI score from the plugin pattern to MIDI Outā€™s own pattern. I made a macro for that, but itā€™s still super annoying.
Iā€™ll make a quick vid showing it, but when I lost everything on my comp, my video editor went too. I canā€™t get that version back, so Iā€™m trying davinci resolve, but that has a ridiculous learning curve.

Could you tell the forum to stop giving me crap for using it.

You have ue for input variables for the second set of rules, but I donā€™t see the input to see if you are looking at the right variables.
I suggest before using FL Studio to control LEDā€™s you first do local feedback from MT Pro to make sure you understand the values that control the LEDā€™s. It sounds like some values might be blinking. I canā€™t test because I donā€™t have your controller. If you donā€™t want the nag messages, perhaps start a new thread with the specifically the issue you are trying to solve, this thread seems to be meandering between different topics. I donā€™t think I can turn the nag screens off. You might want to try VideoPad Video Editor from NCH Software. Davinci Resolve does indeed require a significant learning curve.
I also think the simple Editor from Icecream software is free but with quite limited editing capabilities.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

1 Like

Maybe any value greater than 9 is blinking for that color.

Steve

1 Like

The weird text thing corrected itself after closing and reopening MTP.

The translator that wasnā€™t firing with a timer had the ā€˜stop processingā€™ checkmark enabled. I was experimenting with that while trying to figure out that hold down sequence. Cloned it to reuse some of it but forgot that was checked.

Sorry the ue variable is just a random pic to show the rules. All the variables are lined up. I did have some mistakes but fixed them.

And sorry, I meant by ā€œblinkā€ it just turns the pad light on and off kind of quickly. The pad lights are set to send a different light when pressed down and return to the presetā€™s colour when released. So when the note triggered is only a step or so long, it looks like a blink. I made the ā€œonā€ brightness only last 100ms for drums because if not it looks kind of laggy, like itā€™s drunk. For the melodic instruments I have the note off as a normal note off so the lights stay (brighter) however long the note is. Itā€™s working good.

Iā€™m almost done. Doing some more note presets with different scales and colour themes. Itā€™s a lot of work. Thanks for all the tips. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey would you know how to send messages to the oled screen? Itā€™s the same issue I had with the sysex lighting. Reading the Segger blog post I figured out the messages themselves, but not * how to send them. That was the tricky part. The guy that wrote the blog is working with C++ code, not a program like MTP. I see the map he made to show what message goes to what pixel. I tried copying over his example block of sysex messages, but that didnā€™t do anything. ?

Hi, since the screen is bitmapped, it would likely be very difficult with MT Pro. You would probably need some sort of helper program to translate ASCII characters to the bitmap. Very involved and probably not worth the effort. If there is a way to send ASCII characters to the OLED, it would be much easier.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

1 Like

Ok. That saves me a bunch of time doing experiments that wonā€™t work anyway. Thank you.

I noticed when changing presets, the MIDI ports toggle the phrase (implicit) on or off. Donā€™t know what that means; itā€™s not explained in the manual. MTP doesnā€™t open and close ports based on if presets are active, does it?

If you check them at the project level, then all ports should always remain open. If you only check them at the preset level, I believe they open and close depending on whether the preset is active. Consequently you should always define the ports you want input to and output to at the preset level or translator level to override the project level if you want all of your ports always open.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

1 Like

Ok thank you. Iā€™ll have another look at them. I assume (implicit) doesnā€™t really mean it was changed. ?

Just a shot in the dark here, since Iā€™ve been at this new issue for four hours now with zero progress:
Would you happen to know why FL Studioā€™s MIDI Out plugin is reading 100 velocities off the piano roll, but sending 120 velocities out?

My velocity lock is supposed to make pads orange when hit but this implacable problem is making them all white when they clearly should be orange. There is no reason for it to not send out 100 when it is reading 100. After four hours Iā€™ve checked every thing imaginable, and am just giving up.