Alesis Q49 Sustain Problem

Hi.

I have a Alesis Q49 MK1 midi keyboard. I use Studio One 5 as my DAW. Once I start up my pc and press a key on the midi keyboard without pressing the sustain pedal then everything is fine as per normal. But once I press a key and press the sustain pedal then the note keep on sustaining even though I stop pressing the sustain pedal.
I have tried to reverse the polarity of the sustain pedal by unplugging the midi keyboard and pressing the sustain pedal in while plugging the midi keyboard back in, as it’s bus powered. Then all is normal when I press a key on the keyboard. But once I press a key and press the sustain pedal again then it does the same thing(sustains the note even though I stop pressing the sustain pedal).

I’m using Windows 10, so in the “Device Manager” my midi keyboard Q49 shows up as per normal with no exclamation marks or anything.

In the BMT app this is the data being logged when plugging in the Q49 and pressing the sustain pedal:
1: MIDI IN [Q49]: B0 40 00
2: MIDI IN [Q49]: B0 40 7F

Hi, if the first message is sustain pedal press and the second message is sustain pedal release. Then the project file would be as below. You will need to use MT Pro to put between your Q49 and Studio One 5. You should set Studio One 5 to look at port BMT 1 instead of Q49. Your input to MTPro would be from Q49 and output to Bome MIDI Translator 1 Virtual 1 Out.

Here is what the log shows in operating the pedal

1: MIDI IN [Alesis Q49]: B0 40 00
2: MIDI OUT [Bome MIDI Translator 1 Virtual Out]: B0 40 7F
3: MIDI IN [Alesis Q49]: B0 40 7F
4: MIDI OUT [Bome MIDI Translator 1 Virtual Out]: B0 40 00

Here is the way the MIDI port Alias are set up.

And the project file
Q49-Reverse Sustain.bmtp (1.0 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

I managed to set it up as you’ve explained. But my log window only shows the following:
1: MIDI IN [Q49]: B0 40 00
2: MIDI IN [Q49]: B0 40 7F

However, I do get a signal in Studio One and the problem seems to be solved. Oh wow!

Thanks

OK, if you check the MIDI Out Box it should show what is going from MT Pro to Studio One. I’m glad you got it working!

Steve