Alternating Notes

Can I do this with Bome Box? If so, could I get some guidance on step 4?

Input MIDI Channel 1 - Pass thru to MIDI Channel 1

Input MIDI Channel 2 - Pass thru to MIDI Channel 2

Input MIDI Channel 3 - Send to both MIDI Channel 1&2 (not 3)

Input MIDI Channel 4 - Send Alternating Notes to 1&2 (prefer sequential notes in time, by pitch odd/even is ok but less preferable)

In other words

1st incoming note goes to Ch.1

2nd incoming note goes to Ch.2

3rd incoming note goes to Ch.1

4th incoming note goes to Ch. 2

……

In order for note offs to work, those would probably need to go to both channels 1&2

Thanks, Jeff

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

Yes it can do this but in order to do any translations, you also need to buy Bome MIDI Translator Pro. Then you develop what you need on Windows or Mac and then upload to BomeBox for final execution.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Yes I have Translator Pro

Do you have any guidance on the alternating notes?

Hi, the following should work as long as you only have one note-on at a given time. The MIDI channel will change at every note-off message.

I use the global variable ‘ga’ for them MIDI channel, toggling it between 0 (MIDI CH 1) and 1 (MIDI CH 2).

We capture the value of ga into the local variable oo and send output to that MIDI Channel.

After capturing note-off we toggle the MIDI channel for the next iteration.

If you want to handle more than 1 note at a time, then the project will need to be modified to determine which channel we need to send the note-off messages or send them to multiple channels. If sending to multiple channels we change the outgoing action of translator 0.1 to make it a raw MIDI message with a note-off on both channels.

Here is how I set up my aliases for testing. You will need to set them up to point to the physical ports that you use.

You can learn more about aliases from this tutorial.

Alternating-Notes-2024-02-25.bmtp (1.5 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Thanks, I’ll give this a try.

Did you get this working OK?

My need is for normal playing, not monophonic playing. MIDI Solutions sent me a program for Event Processor Plus which seems very close.

OK, then they may be using some kind of note tracker to determine on which channel to turn the note off, I hope this works out for you.

Thanks for the update!

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Just sending note offs to both channels.

OK, you can easily modify the project I sent to send note-offs to both channels by alternating channels for note on.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care