APC-MINI MK2 with Arkaos Media Master

Steve.

I use various controllers to control a LED wall and pixel ceiling at a very busy nightclub using Arkaos Media Master 6. I love the level of control that I have with an APC 40 / mini and being able to use faders, but my biggest drawback is the buttons provide zero feedback. This requires me to either label the ‘void of color’ buttons so I know what # slot im at (doesnt look very cool) or toss the APC and use an AKAI Fire that has colored grids so it’s easy to remember where I was. The fire is wonderful but it’s missing faders and still does not have an “active visual” feedback by color or blink. Being able to control a large pixel ceiling and slam it up and down to the beat of the music is an amazing experience.

So what I was hoping to do with MIDI Translator was create midi feedback with different colors to show what button is active. Example: ALL GREEN except the actively triggered button which would flash BLINKING BLUE and maybe a color flash red for the single press action. If I could find a way to make it change a ‘already used’ color to orange that would be incredible but just basic feedback would be good enough for me.

I’m a very technically advanced guy and attempting to set this up did not work as expected and I basically got basic midi function with no color going…which is exactly the same as if I had just set it up directly in the program. Where do I begin? Any guidance or templates available? Thank you so much!

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

I put this is a new topic. Hope you don’t mind.

The APC40 does have capability for MIDI feedback to color LED’s. Could you show me where you are with the Bome project file that you started and I can take a look. I assume that you have the APC40 MK1 since it only has a few colors.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Hello. I own both but im actually using a mini mk2 which is why I posted on that previous thread.

I followed this tutorial and copied it:

Hi, the APC-MINI MK2 requires MIDI CH 7 to make the LED’s bright enough instead of the default channel 1. Also the colors needed are different because they are RGB instead of just a few colors. The communication protocol document for this device can be found on the AkaiPro web site.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

MINIMK2wes.bmtp (1.0 KB)

Like this? I picked 65 based on the pdf doc should be red? Nothing Displaying. What am I doing wrong?

The outgoing action to the APC-MINI MKII needs to be a note-on, not a note off.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Sorry im still not getting it :sweat_smile: Is this all right? Possible to look at my project file?

MINIMK2wes2.bmtp (1.2 KB)

Hi,
Give this a try. I set up aliases which I almost always do in case physical port names sometimes change, it is easy to re-assign aliases than change a whole bunch of translators (when you project gets more complex).

You can learn more about aliases from this tutorial.

I then set up the devices at the preset level as when your project gets more complex, it will take less to manage.

You can learn more about device selection from this tutorial.

The input from the APC-MINI MK2 is MIDI CH1 but the output is MIDI CH7 for LED feedback.

I also changed the MIDI thru routing to match the new aliases.

I changed the color select in the rules.

// red
pp=5
// teal
if ga==1 then pp=2

Give it a try.

MINIMK2-Steve.bmtp (1.2 KB)

I’m changing the title of this post from APC-40 to APC-MINI MK2

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care