Apc40 mkii & mini

I’m planning on mapping both the apc40 mkii and a mini to Grandma2.

What would be the most basic way to get the mkii to have a static (rgb etc) color when off and a grey when pressed? I’d like to map it on Bomes.

The other question would be the same but for the apc mini. While I understand that the mini only does red green and yellow, I’m only looking to implement the code for it. I saw it on a post but I think I was putting it in the wrong part.

Hi and welcome to the forum!

You can send different velocities back to your devices using Bome MIDI Translator Pro. GrandMA2 does not support this directly unless you know how to script it using either LUA or sending Note-On messages for each executer.

For both devices, you send a note-on with the color representing the velocity of the note to turn on the LED’s

The APC40MKII has a lot of colors and and the APC-MINI just a few.

There are user guides on the AkaiPro web site that documents the protocol and color velocities. I can give you a few short examples here.

Search on APC-MIINI LED in this forum and you should be able to find something. If you can’t find it let me know and I’ll see if I can.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

I was able to find some of the files from previous topics about this.

However I was wondering about a brute way to force led feedback through bomes. Could it be forced individually through the rules section for each new translation?

If by brute force you mean to have Bome send back MIDI message to the soruce controller for LED feedback, then yes. However if you change a control in the application the feedback will not update if the application does not send anything.

Also you would need to work the logic in rules of each translator what color you want the LED to be and the behavior as you push various buttons or move dials. Usually this means setting a global variable to a given value for each LED and then sending that value back to the controller.

The controllers you are talking about have mostly momentary buttons that send a value of 127 when pushed and 0 when released, yet the LED’s have multiple states.

If you give me an example of one button you want to control and how you want it to behave when pushed, then I can show you that.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

can you give an example for both midi devices?

Note 56 on the APC Mini, when unpressed colored red, when pressed green?

I haven’t done an apc40 one but those I’d like for them to be the same way. Since they have rgb i assume they’ll have different numbers for them.

Hi,

Please see the following example. It has 4 presets (0-3)

Preset 0 - Init - Handles the houskeeping and puts the APC-40 into Mode 2 which allows all LED’s to be remotely controlled.

Preset 1 APC-MINI-LED-Feedback
I set the input and output of this preset to MyAPC-MINI which is an alias to my actual APC-MINI. Everything under this preset will expect input from your APC-MINI and send MIDI to your APC-MINI
I have one translator that toggles LED 56 Off and On (Green)

Preset 2 APC40-LED-Feedback
I set the input and output of this preset to MyAPC-40 which is an alias to my actual APC-40 mkii. Everything under this preset will expect input from your APC-40 and send MIDI to your APC-40
I have one translator that increments the value of note 32 by 10 each time you press it. When it goes over a value of 127 it goes back to the off state

Preset 3 APCMINI-To-Application
Input is only APC-MINI and output goes to the alias “Application” which I set to Bome Virtual Port 1.
I put a translator here to translate anything from MIDI CH 1 to MIDI CH 12 so that doesn’t interfere with the Mapping of your APC40 which also will transmit on MIDI CH1

Then I set a MIDI thru path in the MIDI router from MyAPC-40 to Application.

What I didn’t do is convert sliders or knobs to note values which is something that GrandMa2 will require as it doesn’t handle CCs. It only handles Notes

There will still need to be a bit of mapping required for GMA2 to get
CCs mapped to notes
Ensure that mapped CCs to notes do not interfere with existing notes (buttons)

APC-MIN-APC-40-Example-LED.bmtp (2.5 KB)

Have fun!

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

I’ve done the translating on bomes with apc20s and this upgrade is going to keep my hands full for sure.

I’ll give it a try when I can later tonight. Thank you Steve!

Hey Steve, is there a way to make the light toggle when just pressed?

Essentially whenever I press a button have it light up and then turn off when the button is unpressed.

Hmm, I’m not sure what you want.

Toggle = Press once turn on press again turn off
Momentary = Press turn on release turn off.

Which are you looking for?

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Momentary. Sorry about the terminology.

Yes, most controllers turn the LED state at a specific color depending on the note velocity.
In the example below I’m using a value of 127 to turn the LED on.

For note off, most controllers use the note off in the form of note-on at velocity 0 so the second translator is set to send a note on at velocity 0 which normally is not allowed in MT Pro. So I use a rule to override this behavior.

qq=0

Then I output note-on at velocity 0 which in most cases will turn off an LED.

I route the translators from and to the alias “My Controller” in this case.

Momentary-any-note-2021-10-23.bmtp (1.4 KB)

Note that Akai Pro devices usually send note off in the form of 8n pp 7F where n is the MIDI channel 0-15 and pp is the note number. We have to modify that behavior to 9n pp 00 to make it work.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care