Applescript automation permissions error

Hello! I just recently got BMT and I mostly want to use it to send AppleScript events to QLab 5. However, every script I send to QLab returns the error:

OUT 0.0 ERROR executing AppleScript: action_0_0(): error -1743: Not authorized to send Apple events to QLab.

I’ve given the program permissions in the Accessibility window of System Preferences, but it never requested automation permissions. I’ve uninstalled and re-installed the program, restarted my mac, and am running the script from a blank workspace with no other AppleScript in it. The script I’m using compiles and runs in ScriptEditor and QLab. I’ve also tried sending simple scripts to other programs and they return similar errors. Is there a way to request the necessary permissions? Is there something I need to do to set up each project to properly output AppleScript?

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

What version of MacOS are you running? I’m running Ventura 13.6 and testing this short project file and it works fine. It just sizes and centers MT Pro on my screen. I’m on Intel 64 bit (not M1).

Applescript-test.bmtp (1.1 KB)

Maybe a simple example of your script would help.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Hey Steve,
Thanks for the relpy! I had apparently forgotten to update this laptop from Big Sur, so I updated it last night (to Sonoma 14.1.1) and am still running into the same error. The preset file that you attached also returns

OUT 0.0 ERROR executing AppleScript: action_0_0(): error -1743: Not authorized to send Apple events to System Events.

The scripts I’ve been testing with are

tell application "Spotify"
set sound volume to 0
end tell

and

tell application id "com.figure53.qlab.5" to tell front workspace
start cue "mq1"
end tell

Both give the same error in regards to the app I’m trying to send commands to. In System Prefs> Privacy & Security > Accessibility I’ve enabled Bome MIDI Translator Pro, so I think it should at least be able to control System Events. It never asked me for any permissions and does not appear in the ‘Automation’ tab. Will try re-installing now to see if the new OS will ask for permissions

I have the same problem with QLab. Are you running a full license? Do you have QLab set to authorize AppleScript. I’m running in Demo mode. It recognizes from Script Editor but not from MT Pro. Also I tried with Keyboard Maestro and it didn’t work but scripts to talk to the system seem to work. I’m not an Mac expert on security matters so maybe QLab or Apple can help.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

This article might move you forward.

You do know that QLab will take MIDI input for triggers, right?

You will need to grant MIDI Translator Pro the rights to send Apple Events to System Events. AFAIK, this is done in Accessibility:

System Settings → Privacy → Security → Accessibility

Hope that does the trick!

Hi there, I’m unfortunately also having this issue.
I’m trying to run the following AppleScript:

tell application "System Events"
	tell application process "Live"
		set frontWindow to first window
		set position of frontWindow to {1, 1}
	end tell
end tell

This simple script runs fine from AppleScript Editor, and I have even made it into an application, and run the script in QLab. All OK.

I have granted Accessibility and Full Disk Access Priveleges to: Automator, Script Editor, MIDI Translator Pro, Ableton Live, QLab, Terminal and the application version of the script.

I have granted Automation Priveleges to: Ableton Live and the application version of the script. No other software has requested access.

I’ve also tried to change my outgoing action to ‘Execute File’ and pointed it to the application version of the script. This just returns a popup version of the same error.

I’ve downloaded and tried SteveC’s Applescript-test.bmtp with the same result.

I’m running MacOS 11 Big Sur (I can’t change this due to other software which won’t run on later operating systems)

Any suggestions would be very gratefully received! Thanks

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

Did you try the procedure in this thread?

Apparently Apple has changed some ways these permissions are granted in new versions of the operation system.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Many thanks for the link Steve. Unfortunately I couldn’t make that technique work, as I had a permissions issue with the db file. Even with sudo I couldn’t edit it.

I did however find a different work around. Written here for anyone else arriving via a search engine…

I use a shell script, run chmod +x to make it executable, and from MIDI Translator Pro I use the ‘execute file’ option.

Shell script version looks like this:

#!/bin/bash

osascript <<EOF
tell application "System Events"
    tell application process "Live"
        set frontWindow to first window
        set position of frontWindow to {1, 1}
    end tell
end tell
EOF

Hope that helps somebody else who may be struggling.

Thanks for posting this! Yes, it seems to be ever increasingly more difficult to manage permissions with MacOS.

Thanks again!

@FlorianBome FYI

I suspect we will get more and more issues similar to this.

Steve