Automatically Allow USB device to send midi

Can bome box automatically allow any USB device to send and receive midi, when I plug it in ? So far, I manually select the USB device for each new device as a midi input or midi output.

I don’t know if you have a setup similar to mine. My BomeBox is connected to a Mac via Ethernet and all my USB MIDI devices are connected to the BomeBox via active hubs.

When I plug in a new device, I have to turn it on once in Bome Network. Then I can unplug and plug it in and it stays active.

I’ve only tested this briefly with one device and the status survived a BomeBox restart and several Bome Network restarts. You would have to test longer with several devices. How long does the status for a device that no longer exists last? 150 years? Probably not.

I didn’t find an automatic way for new devices. The first time I have to turn them on in Bome Network. Makes sense, the BomeBox is there to control access.

Hi,

Remote MIDI direct ports are available to use on Bome Network once you plug a device into BomeBox. It is up to the user to turn them on or leave them alone.

Also, you can set up BomeBox to automatically router everything to everything on the MIDI routing page of BomeBox.

In either case it would be otherwise difficult to determine which other attached MIDI devices that you want to route to from your newly attached incoming MIDI device.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

I can only see Bome Virtual Port 1 (BomeBox DIN) as SOURCE and DESTINATION - this allows the midi DIN to route anything, however I cannot see a general USB source and destination to route any USB to anything

See attached, if I route USB1 it only connects my MicroKey, but any other USB device is not recognized

What other USB devices do you have connected to your BomeBox that are not showing up? Are you using a powered MIDI hub? Are these MIDI devices class compliant (will they run on Windows or Mac without having to load any special drivers)?

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

What I am saying is, nothing else is plugged in, that is why they are not showing.

I want them to AUTOMATICALLY be a source and destination when I plug in ANYTHING into the USB port, without needing to update midi routes.

I don’t want to tell the bome box every time I plug in a new USB device.

Without a project file loaded on BomeBox, you can check the route all destinations box and every port will be routed to every other port as devices are attached. If you are running a project file on BomeBox, then the MIDI routing from the loaded project file is used.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Steve

I am using midi translator pro, but I cannot see a “route all destinations” box in my project - see attached

No, MT Pro or Bome Network does not have a “route everything to everything else setting”. Only BomeBox does, With that said, if you know the controllers you are likely to connect, you can automatically enable and disable routes in MT Pro as the come online or go offline, however you need to set this up initially.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care