Avolites Routing 2-APC's

With Avolites supporting USB MIDI, i am preparing MIDI translator so I can use 2 APC (40+20).

But Avolites, does not detect my device. I translate APC 20 to virtual out, and 40 is just routed thru to virtual out.

How do I need to set routing, so Avolites Titan Go with detect it. Midi OX does detect.

Attachments:
1600706262531_TEST14092020.bmtp

Hi, does Avolties support multiple MIDI ports or just one MIDI port?

If multiple, then you just need to hook up define different ports for each controller in your software and if allows mapping by different port number, you should be all set.

However, my guess is that everything is coming in on one port. This means, the only way to differentiate which controller is sending the MIDI signal is to convert MIDI signals on your second controller to something Unique (that the first controller doesn't send).

I assume your APC40 is a MK1 so it probably sends out same MIDI as your APC20.

Most everything on the original APC40 and APC20 send out notes based on track(column) with track/column 1 using MIDI CH1, column 2 using MIDI CH2 and so forth. The master fader uses MIDI CH8

So here is what I suggest

Set up you APC40 to pass through everything untouched (Static routing)

Set up your APC20 to add 8 to the incoming channel of all messages. That way the first controller (APC40) will send on MIDI CH1-8 and the second (APC20) will send on MIDI CH9-16. You messages will then be unique between the two controllers.

I believe that the MIDI messages send are all 3 byte MIDI messages so a single translator should be able to handle it.

------
Translator : APC-20 Translator
Incoming: Raw MIDI oo pp qq from APC20
-------
Rules:

// Add 8 to the MIDI channel number
oo=oo+8

// End of Rules
-------
Outgoing: oo pp qq to Application (you alias to Bome MIDI Translator 1 Virtual Port)
Options: Swallow
------

Of course, set your application to BMT1 to match the alias assignment above

You should be all set to go

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

So yes, everything is coming to one port...its why BOME is needed, and you cannot define your MIDI device for input and output.

I don't have issues translating MIDI messages of already used notes and CC's. The problem is how other programs see BOME input and Output and how virtual in/out works.

As I use APC20 Virtual out preset (attatchment) to translate certain MIDI messages so they don't overlap with APC40 they go to Virtual Out port. APC40 goes to Virtual Out port directly.

In this case Avolites would read Virtual In (which should be virtual out in bome) for triggering. So would there need to be any loopback from virtual out to virtual in, or how does this work so Avolites would recognise incoming (translated virtual) MIDI messages?

Hi, unlike loopBE or loopMIDI. The Bome Virtual Ports are 1 way so :

Bome MIDI Translator Virtual Port 1 In

and

Bome MIDI Translator Virtual Port 1 In

are really 2 virtual ports. Your application would see them both as BMT1

If you want to redirect translated feedback to the APC20, you will need t reverse translated it. You set up a preset routing In from BMT1 and out to Akai APC20

Actually, I did a few modifications to your project file.

Cleaned up existing Aliases You had some duplicates (different names pointing to the same physical port) which would cause some duplicate messages to and from your controllers.

Many of your translators in the INIT (1) preset pointed to both aliases so I made them only pointing to the ones remaining after I cleaned them up.

Added aliases "Avolites" for both input and pointed then to Bome MIDI Translator 1

Deleted existing static MIDI route hardcoded to from AkaAPC40 to BMT1 and made it point to the new alias instead.

Deleted routes APC40 and APC20 for direct feedback. This could interfere with the feedback coming from in your presets 2 and 3

For dynamic routing from the same incoming port (Avolites or BMT1) to your different controllers, see this tutorial. In general if you put your translators for each controller into different presets, then you set the incoming and outgoing port at the preset level and then you don't have to do the same at the translator level.

APC40 -> Static route to Avolites

APC20 -> Translators to Avolites

APC40 -> Feedback to APC40 using preset definitions

APC20 -> Feedback to APC20 using preset definitions

What I think you want also is:

Avolite -> Feedback to APC40 using Preset definitions

Avolite -> Feedback to APC20 using Preset definitions

I'm not clear on whether you will retain toggling etc within existing MT Pro presets or just use Avolite to update LED's with newly added presets.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Attachments:
1600717052239_TEST14092020-sjc.bmtp
1 Like

I still cannot get Avolites to detect MIDI messages when they are connected to BOME, despite fix you have made to the project. What Device ID should be set for Bome? This is pretty much the only thing you can set, unfortunatelly u can't just select device...

I do have a question also regarding last part with routing you have made.

APC40 -> Static route to Avolites - I understand till some point...but where is Avolites Alias connected to Virtual out? Avolites Alias in should be APC40 In & Out or am I doing something wrong?

APC20 -> Translators to Avolites - Its connected to Virtual Out

APC40 -> Feedback to APC40 using preset definitions - OK

APC20 -> Feedback to APC20 using preset definitions - OK

Thanks.

Hi, please find the below diagram. Maybe this will make more sense.

Essentially all you should connect Avolite to is the virtual MIDI port

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Attachments:

Hi,

Is the MidiTranslator expected to be visible as an MME device?

No, Bome MIDI Translator does not process sound, only MIDI. Avolite should see various MIDI ports. In the example I showed you I used BMT1.

I have tested this and can confirm the software can see Bome MIDI Translator 1. I have increased the number of virtual ports and they are also visible in the Avolites USB Expert Console.
I have successfully been able to route MIDI thru BOME and it has responded in the Avolites software using an Akai LPK25. In the ’MIDI Router’ I routed the LPK25 to Avolites, BOME MIDI Translator 1 and BOME Virtual Port 1 (not sure whether this makes a difference).

I've noticed another issue, that was probably present here when I started and had issues cuz of it.

So If for example like I have in this file to change modes of certain controller or any other translations (feedback etc) that relate to opened controller's port in certain preset, then Avolites can't detect it anymore.

If i do fresh project and just translate for example faders and route them to virtual out, it does work. As soon there is any translation or just a preset with (in my example) APC20 in and APC20 out selected, Avolites can't see it any longer.

Please assist.

Also how can you program rule for toggle button to convert it to momentary?

I've noticed another issue, that was probably present here when I started and had issues cuz of it.

So If for example like I have in this file to change modes of certain controller or any other translations (feedback etc) that relate to opened controller's port in certain preset, then Avolites can't detect it anymore.

If i do fresh project and just translate for example faders and route them to virtual out, it does work. As soon there is any translation or just a preset with (in my example) APC20 in and APC20 out selected, Avolites can't see it any longer.

Please assist.

SJC> I'm not quite sure what you mean but you must exclusively communicate with your APC's with MT Pro and never try to bypass MT Pro and commuicate directly to your APC's with Avolites because only 1 application can use a given MIDI port on Windows at a time.

Also how can you program rule for toggle button to convert it to momentary?

SJC> You can convert momentary to toggle with MT Pro but not the other way around. For this reason, you should always run in your APC's in Mode 1 or Mode 2 and not in Mode 0.

The reason you cannot convert toggle to momentary is because toggle is handled within the controller itself.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care