Behringer x-touch compact to control MagicQ and EOS

Hi, I’m all very new to this and just started to learn Midi, I’ve used OSC before, so up for a challenge.
I’m slowly learning both Chamsys MagicQ PC and ETC EOS Nomad software. I like to be able to use physical hardware as the control surface, and currently looking at The Behringer X-Touch Compact. It has motorised faders and hopefully different pages of faders, along with buttons and encoders.
My question is before I purchase the midi controller what is the likelihood of this working with the aid of the Bome midi translator. EOS has the Luminosus program which might also help.
I’ve read lots of forums and it generally seams possible, but just would like some confidence before spending. Cheers Ade

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

I have an X-touch compact and am able to do pretty much anything I want with Bome MIDI Translator Pro (MT Pro). It doesn’t have real banks but you can us MT Pro to simulate banks by switching presets and using global variables to memorize the value of the faders on each bank.

The only think I don’t like about the X-Touch Compact is it is a bit large for my desktop but I suppose it comes with the territory if you want motorized faders. The design is a bit clunky looking (kind of old school). There are other controllers that do similar with a sleeker designed but in general, they are more expensive which is why I chose the X-Touch Compact. If you don’t need absolute fader precision, you can use LED rings instead with the X-Touch MINI, or other controllers like the MIDI Fighter Twister.

For me, if I’m unsure a controller will work for me, I check the reputation of the vendor selling it regarding return policy. In general sellers with a liberal return policy will charge a bit more, but you will get peace of mind in case things don’t work out.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Thanks Steve. I’m old school so still like the faders, but I’m seen some great ideas around the Fighter Twister. I might just have to go for it and get a controller and fiddle around and learn it. There seams to be very little in the way of Midi / OSC plugins for the Eos. Cheers Ade

The manual seems to be pretty extensive and not being a lighting engineer is hard for me to follow. It would seem that with this device being such a high end device, that there would be some provisions for MIDI and OSC, but again I was a bit overwhelmed when opening the manual so didn’t spend much time with it.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Eos has a fairly good OSC implementation. (However its midi implementation is pretty lacking.) There’s a separate manual for the show control stuff, it’s not in the main one.

It seems to have the ability to receive MIDI or serial data if the ports are set up correctly so I thin we might be in business. I don’t think this will work for your controllers over a network, however.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care