BMT Mac app-Ports “disappearing” (greyed out)

Using BMT with Mac Ventura, suddenly I’ll find ports for apps like TouchOSC bridge & Keyboard Maestro greyed out (meaning I have to restart both apps….plus restart BMT just out of safety).

I keep both KM & TOSC Bridge running.

WHAT is going on???
I’m suddenly spending days doing to nothing but wishing my MIDI data activity would finally show up in Ableton again.

I recently updated to Ventura (but there was also a recent BMT update). I have no idea.

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

I’m sorry you are having problems! One way to check if the problem is with Bome MIDI Translator Pro or some other application is to test if you can see the ports can open in another application. For instance, try installing MIDITools to see if it has the same problem.

Another likely issue is if a different application is already using the given MIDI port. Check your applications to make sure only one is trying to access that port and if more than one, disable the given port in the other application. This type of issue is more common on Windows platforms however.

I’m running 1.9.1 on Ventura with KM and have no problems(which probably doesn’t help you). I don’t run TOSC.

Do you have any kind of MIDI networking running?
What other apps that use MIDI might be running that use MIDI? Can Ableton Live see and open your Bome virtual ports?

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Thanks for your reply. I do have plenty of things being networked: ios devices (wired & wireless), Yamaha BT-01, IAC’s, Ableton ClyphX Pro I use a lot, sometimes AudioGriddr & AVB

I’m definitely not new to keeping-data-transmissions-separate…I get obsessive about it. Also everything was running fine before Ventura…(also before the BMT 1.9.1 update…but I’m sorta leaning towards Ventura here).
I’m wondering about:
Ventura>System Settings> Login items (I un-checked several…which immediately caused errors with apps like iLok etc) Now re-checked everything before I continue from here, so we’ll see.

I don’t see any ‘disappearing’ in MIDI Monitor or Ableton…& it’s not the ‘devices’ that disappear…its the 2 apps running (with their icons still shown in the top of my screen)…they both keep needing to be RESTARTED to be “seen” in BMT.
It’s like they both took a nap & need re-awakened.
In BMT MIDI Router, I’ll draw connection(s) to/from MIDI port(s), for instance Network Session 1, to a dedicated ClyphX Pro IAC driver (then choose that IAC in Ableton MIDI prefs). Sometimes my MIDI control data isn’t being “seen” by Ableton…until I ditch that IAC connection & just choose ‘Network Session 1’.

Then as I’m troubleshooting, I’ll check BMT, & yup, always just TOSCBridge & KM greyed out… (& from memory, if I’ve had one small change in my MIDI setup & suddenly nothing works until I re-start BMT…so-much-so that a KM ‘Restart BMT’ trigger is a KM Action List on my To-Program List).

I’ve tried going through my Firewall settings, making sure everything’s ‘allowed’. I guess I’ve also UN-installed Little Snitch recently (although that was just another attempt at solving this issue)
I’ll update if I figure something out…(hopefully it’s the Login items).

I have Keyboard Maestro Engine to open at login.

So if the apps are not fully running, I would expect their ports to disappear as well.

If it is always just these two MIDI ports, it is probably something to do with the applications that create these MIDI ports.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Well at least, last night went pretty well (so perhaps it was just my user-error turning off Mac’s ‘Login items’…or at least the “wrong” ones).

Thanks for your input :slight_smile:

Yes, hopefully that was it.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care