Bome Keystroke outputs are inconsistent, OBS doesn't receive them unless open

Hello there, I am having some issues with Bome. I am using it with a Ableton Novation Launchpad. My set up - I press a key on the launchpad, it outputs as keystrokes (So I press a key, and it outputs Control + Shift + A).

The keystrokes only work when I have clicked on OBS in the main streaming window. If I open any program but obs, in order to get key strokes working again, I must click Bome to maximize it, then open OBS and click the main window. Only then will my midi to hotkeys work.

It’s weird though. I can toggle things by pressing a hotkey on my keyboard (for example, A), but not by using the midi to hotkey. So if I type A in the OBS text box, the toggle will happen. If I use Bomes Midi to output A into the text box, even though A is outputted in textboxt, OBS doesnt register the A output and nothing happens.

I have another program, called LioranBoard which can not recieve any of Bomes hotkey outputs, and when it does it is very random. I switched from complicated ones like Control + Shift + X to just A, and it does not register, with or without that program open.

It seems that bomes only works on specific programs, and that the those programs must be open. Normally I can hotkey anywhere on any program to affect OBS, but with Bomes, OBS must be open for it to work. Even then, if I am clicked on chatbox (anything but main video, it will not work)

Am I missing something?

Regards,
-Kevin

Assuming you are on Windows, you should use injected keystrokes, otherwise the keystrokes go to the currently in-focus application.

With injected keystrokes (if the application supports them), you can click on the target application when programming them and they will use that application to send the keystroke to.

I use injected keystrokes on my Windows platform with OBS all of the time.

Alas on Mac, there are no injected keystrokes so you would have to use AppleScript (or something similar) to focus the proper application prior to sending the keystroke.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Hello there, thank you for your answer. Where would I find injected keystrokes? Checking the output (outgoing action), under Key stroke emulation type, the only options are for key press/down/up events.

Would this be a Bomes thing or a Windows thing? I have looked online with different searches of injected keystrokes and can not find much.

Best regards
-Kevin

It would be in the outgoing action on MT Pro but that function is only supported on Windows platform. You can read about it in the MT Pro user manual (Help or F1 from with MT Pro)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Ahh, I was on the old version. I just tried it with the program I need it for (LioranBoard, really good for obs automation) and it didn’t work :frowning: Thank you anyways!

Hi, not sure if LioranBoard can handle injected keystrokes. Not all applications do. If it does, the injected keystrokes should probably be sent there and then have the plugin use it’s OBS API to communicate with OBS.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

We just got a report from a customer with a solution for this (independent of injected keystrokes, which also seem to work if set up correctly).

Specifying ‘slow’ keystrokes (available since MIDI Translator 1.9) with 50ms key ‘slowness’ will make OBS see the global shortcuts. It seems that OBS cannot keep up with the emulated keystrokes if they’re sent too fast.