Bome Network Pro: One MIDI Port only? What is the virtual port?

I need to connect two physical MIDI controllers over the internet to another PC. Does Bome Network Pro come with one MIDI port? Can I run two instances of Bome Network Pro? Must I purchase " Unlimited Named MIDI Ports" in order to get the second port?

What is the virtual port, in addition to the regular (non-virtual) port? What is the difference?

Thanks.

There can be multiple MIDI Ports on one PC. You can use Remote Direct MIDI which is part of Bome Network Pro. Here is an example of the ports I can access from my main PC that are on my Gaming PC. If I check a switch so that it turns green, I have access to that port on my Main PC.

One instance per machine but each instance handles multiple connection. Up to 5 machines for a single license.

No, this is for creating additional virtual ports and assigning them their own name as well as doing more complex MIDI routing.

A virtual port is like a connector. It allows application that don’t create their own physical ports that can connect to MIDI ports to talk to each other. Think of it like a cable between either two physical MIDI devices or one physical MIDI device and a MIDI enabled application.

In the screenshot I provided with the exception of MIDI Mapper (which is an application), all of the ports are virtual.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

This shows only remote PC MIDI Ports. I have two controllers connected to this PC: X-touch and X-touch EXT (EXT for EXTENTION), but in MIDI Router - Add window it shows X-touch 1 and X-touch 2. All other apps see them as X-touch and X-touch EXT. Is one of them the EXT but MIDI Network Pro sees it as either X-touch 1 or X-touch 2 ?

All I need is to connect phisical X-touch and X-touch EXT to a remote PC where they will go to Bome MIDI Translator. Each controller should send and receive.

Any controller hooked to your remote PC that has a separate MIDI interface will be seen separately. You can turn on whichever switches you want to turn on as many devices that you want to connect remotely. The remote device names in MT P will show as
OtheComputerName:ControllerName. The name of the Controller name displayed will be that that the host assigns. Bome MIDI Translator Pro does not assign the naming. Bome Network Pro will just prepend the OtherComputerName and the colon. If the name is two long, then it may shorten the controller name and make it unique to make it fit.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz
1 Like

Figured it out. Working now. Thanks for your support!

1 Like