Bome Network Pro over internet. Packet loss prevention?

Hi All. I’m using rtpMIDI over the internet to control a surface controller in Windows (using BMT Pro as well). I’m totally fine with the latency, but occasionally there’s packet loss. That’s probably due to rtpMIDI using UDP, not TCP, but I’m no expert on this.

Does Bome Network Pro use TCP or UDP? Is there a pocket loss recovery or prevention built into Bome Network Pro to work more reliably over the internet?

Hi Stason99,
Bome Network Pro uses TCP, but it is meant for local area networks, not the Internet.

Bome Network uses UDP broadcast to discover devices, which does not work over the Internet. You can connect to a device by specifying its IP (or host name), though. Another way would be to use a VPN or similar so that the remote side is in the same subnet (which should allow broadcast to work).

In general, though, if you experience data loss with UDP, then TCP will also have internal packet loss, resulting in high latency when that happens. But there will not be data loss, unless the TCP connection is down for such a long time that it gets disconnected. In such a case, Bome Network will reconnect as soon as connectivity is back.

I hope this helps!

Thank you! I guess longer latency is better than packet loss. Is there a setting to specify time-out period in case of loss of connection?

it’s an internal setting (so far), it’s at 15 seconds by default.

1 Like

Once the connection is set up, you should be able to use the ‘Remote Direct MIDI’ ports to access all remote MIDI devices individually. You don’t need Unlimited Named MIDI Ports for that.

You don’t need to worry about the MIDI Routes when using ‘Remote Direct MIDI’, they’re set up as needed by Bome Network.