Bome Newbie trying to gain Midi access in 2 Daws simultaneously (Bitwig and Reaper)

Hi All: Just recently acquired Bome and I’m hoping someone could guide me through the steps of setting up my sys so that I can have access to both my main Daws - Bitwig and Reaper - at once. I’m on Win 10 and (as I’m sure you know) Windows by default allows only one app at a time to have midi access. I plan on using the same controller for both (an old Axiom 61 keyboard-controller).

I watched some of Bome’s tutorial vids. and tried futzing about with some of the virtual cabling etc, all to no avail.

I’m hoping this is a simple ask and that someone could help.

Thanks!

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

If all you want to do is pass MIDI messages in both directions all of the time, you would need to just create static MIDI routes like this.

I have set up aliases as follows:

In this example, you would set up Bitwig to open Bome MIDI Translator Virtual 2 port (in may be seen as 'BMT 2" to Bitwig). and open Bome MIDI Translator Virtual 1 port (‘BMT 1’) for use with Reaper. In my example I have assigned the an alias "Axiom 61) and am using a different controller as I do not have that controller.

You can learn more about Bome MIDI Translator Pro aliases from this tutorial.

Of course if both Bitwig and Reaper are sending stuff back to your controller at the same time, then the controller may get quite confused and react to MIDI messages from both applications. I will probably be better to limit what comes back.

To limit what comes back or to translate MIDI messages, you would add translators. You would use the ‘Swallow’ option if you didn’t want the original MIDI message to go through the default MIDI route.

I have set up presets to handle these future translators and set each preset with its own routing path (for translators).

If you look at the detail of the first preset, the routing looks like this.

For more information about device selection, see this tutorial.

Here is the project file template. Again, at this point, I have not added any translation but left the presets in place so that you can add them as you like.

Axiom-Bitwig-Reaper.bmtp (1.3 KB)

There are many other things you can do like switching applications on and off at will with translators, re-routing connections etc. This should get you started though.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Hi Steve:
Thanks for your prompt and detailed response. Greatly appreciated!

Honestly, I’m still trying to wrap my head around this software (at least how to manage and operate the nuts-n-bolts of it within my specific Daw setup) . This app is def not for your average Midiot (me!).

Thanks again for your thoughtful response.

Jeff

Yes,

You can do a lot with Bome MIDI Translator Pro and there are lots of options on how to set your controller and DAWs to the way you want to set them. I can help with specific questions regarding a given function here as part of free services from Bome Software.

For more involved or detailed solutions, I offer paid consulting services independently from support through Bome Software. I have Bitwig 8 track on my system and also a fully licensed copy of Reaper. I don’t have an Axiom 61 but I have other controllers I could adapt and test with if necessary.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz