Bomebox as replacement for Copperlan?

HI
i’m currently running into issues running copperlan on my Mac Studio M2 Ultra.
Thats really annoying as i have a quite big setup of copperlan-interfaces - i’m using 5 Al-88c wich enables me to basically play every synth with every sequencer and easily adjust and reroute my setup at any time.

So it sounds like it’s time to really look for alternatives.

I wonder if the Bome box could be able to replace this setup? What would i need? Why has the BomeBox on one Midi I/O?
i can extend it via USB with an Esi M8U for example ? But this would still mean that i need at least 4 Bome boxes + 4 M8Us?

Could i then flexible route between all ports ?

Hi, if you are only using CopperLan for MIDI communication between devices, you could use Bome Network Pro instead. You would have to completely disable or de-install CopperLan as it insists on taking all available MIDI ports. If your applications require any CopperLan function beyond MIDI, then Bome Network Pro probably wouldn’t do it.

BomeBox also supports Bome Network. In this case the Pro version between computer and BomeBox is not required. You can use a USB hub on your BomeBox and expand your devices via MIDI hub and I believe the ESI M8U is class compliant so you would be able to hook up multiple ESI M8U devices up to a single BomeBox if needed. The BomeBox will provide a maximum of 1 amp of current so if you need more than that, then a powered USB hub would be required. You can connect up to 30 USB-MIDI class compliant devices to a single BomeBox. The M8U’s would only be required for additional MIDI DIN devices unless your USB devices are not class compliant (require special drivers to work).

Bome Network Pro is also support on Windows, iOS and Linux. The licensing for iOS needs to be purchased on the Apple Store while the licensing for everything else can be purchased on the Bome Web Shop as the licensing is separate for iOS devices than computers. BomeBox requires no additional licensing.

Both BomeBox and Bome Network allow routing between MIDI ports. You can also directly expose and attach remote MIDI ports using Remote Direct MIDI Ports on a computer (but not yet on BomeBox). You can read about Remote Direct MIDI on the Bome Network Page.

I don’t think your AL-88C has USB ports and requires its own proprietary network MIDI
interface which would not likely work with BomeBox so you would probably need to use ESI M8U for MIDI DIN interface.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

I just noticed the AL-88c requires CopperLan so you would need to use something else for a MIDI DIN interface.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

thanks for you explanation !

yes i’m aware of that … thats why i was thinking about the ESI M8U

i’ll need to check Bome Network Pro more in Detail and come back with further Questions

so could i use for example a cheap mac mini , connect 4 midi interfaces via USB to it and then do all the routing on my actual workstation?

Most likely, however consider that a cheap computer device may not perform as well. This is usually not a problem with MIDI since it doesn’t usually require much resource. However, performance could be impacted by other running applications running.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

is there a trial for the Network Pro? I d like to see that this solution would work.

Another workflow question in the Translator… is there a simple way of creating a translator that transmits all Midi messages on a certain Port and Channel
Say i’m receiving on Port 25 Channel 1 Midi CC, Velocity and Note Numbers and i want to route all that to Port 5 Channel 15. (so the case when i’m playing a midi-keyboard and want to route the output to a certain synthesizer)
Would i have to define each time several translators ? Or is the Translator maybe the wrong tool for this more simple things?

I will ask our owner and developer @FlorianBome to see. He will likely respond via email.

This can be done with Bome MIDI Translator Pro which is a different application than Bome Network (or Bome Network Pro). They can work together and both will run on BomeBox. Bome MIDI Translator Pro also runs on MacOS and Windows but not on iOS or Linux. In most cases you can do what you ask with a single translator. However sometimes for port related routing you need different translators for each target port.

For more information about device selection, see this tutorial.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

1 Like

okay i got a trial license for Network Pro…

i can setup basic connections (without filtering etc ) between computers… iPads

Wich is pretty cool and replaces part of the Copperlan. If i add the ports license i could create several ports to access the ports from copperlan or other connected real midi interfaces.

Then if i need additional filtering i’d need the translator too.

Looks promising . The translator still looks a bit too complex for my needs.

Yes, for filtering you will need Bome MIDI Translator Pro or if your devices can do their own filtering, then you can use them.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

wow now it get’s funky:

in Copperlan-Manager i can enable all available ports for Copperlan … may it be physical ones from other interfaces or virtual ones… as those from Bome Network

so i can do all the midi routing on that more simple Intel machine with Copperlan as i’m used to… and can update my main workstation to a modern Mac.
And when i need to send some midi data to Copperlan i can do that via Bome Network

somewhere i read using Bome Network Pro requires to removes Copperlan… wich i cannot see to be necessary

Hi,
My experience with CopperLan was on Windows. On Windows only one application or device can open a given MIDI port a the same time. For me that was a deal breaker because CopperLan wanted to control all things MIDI which left the ports unavailable to other applications or devices directly. This is why I uninstalled CopperLan on my Windows machine. Other than that, I’m not sure if there are any compatibility issues. Since my experience was so bad with CopperLan on Windows, I usually ask people to disable it before dealing with any Bome Network related issues. It is merely a method to make sure CopperLan is not introducing issues in the Bome Network environment. So indeed perhaps you are safe running it in Mac since I don’t think Mac has the restriction of on device or application opening a given MIDI port at the same time.

So be patient with us if you have CopperLan and have problems with Bome Network as this would be to eliminate CopperLan as a contributing factor when troubleshooting. The same might be asked for other MIDI related applications.

I hope this clears things up.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

1 Like

sure … this makes totally sense … Windows is not so nice with such things.
I switched 15 years ago to Mac and don’t regret it. (most of the time :wink: )
I will test a bit further and see how it behaves