BomeBox + iConnectivity mioXM

Hi folks

Want to extend the bomebox with additional Midiports (USB+DIN). The only information I got, is to take something with MIDI USB class compliance.
I would like to take this one, which is class compliant : iConnectivity mioXM

Anyone using this as “port-expansion” for the Bome box? Any experience?

Best regards from Germany

Reinhard

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

I don’t have the mioXM but I have an iConnectivityMIDI4+ which is a predecessor and it works just fine with BomeBox.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Dear Steve,

thx for your response.
2 additional questions regarding your environment.
Do you use the bomebox also Standalone with the midi4+ without a PC/Mac
Does you attached DIN and USB MIDI to your midi4+?

I’m not using it now but when I did, yes it was stand alone (no Computer) and yes it had both USB and MIDI DIN devices attached.

The reason I don’t use it anymore is because all but one of my attached devices are now USB MIDI and so I only need 1 MIDI DIN port which I can just use with BomeBox. I just use a simple USB powered hub for my MIDI USB connections. The iConnectivity 4+ just sits on my shelf and I only pull it down when helping other users with Bome Products when trying to duplicate or approximate their configuration setup.

In my opinion, the iConnectivity is now a bit of overkill since the BomeBox is so smart (with an MT Pro project running on it), I can configure the port routing, filtering and conversion with the project file running on the BomeBox. I originally purchased my icm4+ prior to having the BomeBox.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Dear Steve,

thx for further infos. May you check if you can use the USB Hub vor the USB devices and connecting the IC4+ to this Hub as well. If this work, indeed a cheaper solution would fit. That is important for me, as I have to connect more than 1 Midi Din Device
I do use actually a motu Express 128, but this device does not seems to be class compliant ;-(

best regards

Reinhard

Yes, I just connected via unpowered MIDI hub and also connected MIDI Fighter Twister to that hub and I can see all USB ports. I believe the icm4 is configured so that the MIDI DIN ports are exposed as 4 of these USB ports.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

I also have a recent consulting customer with a mioXM and he says it works well with BomeBox.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

I have a MioXM (absolutely love it - great product!).

Can I connect my soon to arrive BomeBox via USB or do I have to give up 2 pairs of precious DIN ports to connect?

Hi,
A mioXM device port can be connected to the BomeBox host port.and the mioXM will expose it’s ports to the BomeBox as USB devices.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Which aliases would I use for the DIN and USB ports on the MioXM?

I’m already building a BMTP project to control my rig with.

You can use whatever names you want.as aliases. I generally use the name similar to the device… Then when you load your project file on BomeBox, then you will be prompted to assign any currently unsigned aliases.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Understand and appreciate all the answers.

My question is really how does BomeBox resolve the MIDI and USB ports on another device like MioXM?

They will all be seen as USB devices, The names they are assigned depends on how mioXM assigns them. I think they usually call the DIN ports DIN1, DIN2 etc and the USB ports USB1, USB2 etc. If you look on your mioXM, it will show the names they assign.

Is there a way to generically address the entire MioXM and let it do the routing?

Sure, but I’m not sure why you would want to as you would be restricted to just 16 MIDI Channels. This is really more a mioXL question. You would set up your mioXL routing to route from all of your device ports to a single unused port and perhaps also do some channel mapping. Then on your BomeBox you would determine which device you are addressing based on your mioXL device/channel mapping.

Then in BomeBox, just address the single device that you have mapped everything to.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

My BomeBox arrived yesterday.

A few observations about interfacing BomeBox to an iConnectivity MioXM:

• The BomeBox must be connected to the “To Host” port of the MioXM, not one of the “Host” USB ports. In retrospect this is obvious as the BomeBox behaves like a computer-style USB host.

• MioXM exposes its DIN and USB ports in that order. The 4 pairs of DIN ports are first, then the USBs.

• The USBs are not necessarily in a specific order, where the DIN ports are actually numbered on the Mio’s case. See the next point.

• By “reserving USB host ports” (a procedure done in Auracle, the control software for Mio devices), you set the order of the USB devices. This is essential because otherwise, you won’t be able to consistently address the USB midi devices attached to MioXM.

• Using Auracle, you set the routing of the devices connected to MioXM, including to the virtual ports you’ve now exposed in BomeBox (or in a computer running BMTP).

It may seem a bit complex, but it is worth it. In my rig, 7 Midi devices are now networked into the BomeBox and available for BMTP activity.

I had written a BMTP file to interface with my KMI Softstep foot controller, BeatBuddy drum pedal, Camelot Pro control app and Auria Pro DAW on my iPad, 2 keyboards, synth module, digital mixer and vocal processor. It nearly worked, amazingly. With a bit more debugging of the Midi behavior and the routing, it will be glorious!

The ability to connect either the BomeBox or the BMTP-equipped computer to the network makes debugging pretty straightforward.

BomeBox and BMTP (and the MioXM) are truly amazing kit!

Dov

Hi, actually you are connecting to a device port on the the MioXM and a Host port on the BomeBox. A device port is a USB B type connector and a host port is a USB A type connector. If I remember you can hook multiple USB devices to the host port of the MIO XM and they will also be exposed to the device port so they should be seen by BomeBox through the device port of the MioXM hence the host port of the BomeBox.

Thanks for all of the observations though! This is similar to how my iConnectivity 4+ works.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Thanks Steve!

Commercial here for RTP Midi support.

This would make the BomeBox-MioX? combination that much more powerful.

I agree. I know rtpMIDI is planned for BomeBox. In the mean time between BomeBox and MioXM, you can send between them via USB thereby create a rtpMIDI to BomeMIDI bridge and visa versa.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

12 posts were split to a new topic: BomeBox + mioXM with Direct MIDI ports