BomeBox + iConnectivity mioXM

Yes, I just connected via unpowered MIDI hub and also connected MIDI Fighter Twister to that hub and I can see all USB ports. I believe the icm4 is configured so that the MIDI DIN ports are exposed as 4 of these USB ports.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

I also have a recent consulting customer with a mioXM and he says it works well with BomeBox.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

I have a MioXM (absolutely love it - great product!).

Can I connect my soon to arrive BomeBox via USB or do I have to give up 2 pairs of precious DIN ports to connect?

Hi,
A mioXM device port can be connected to the BomeBox host port.and the mioXM will expose it’s ports to the BomeBox as USB devices.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Which aliases would I use for the DIN and USB ports on the MioXM?

I’m already building a BMTP project to control my rig with.

You can use whatever names you want.as aliases. I generally use the name similar to the device… Then when you load your project file on BomeBox, then you will be prompted to assign any currently unsigned aliases.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Understand and appreciate all the answers.

My question is really how does BomeBox resolve the MIDI and USB ports on another device like MioXM?

They will all be seen as USB devices, The names they are assigned depends on how mioXM assigns them. I think they usually call the DIN ports DIN1, DIN2 etc and the USB ports USB1, USB2 etc. If you look on your mioXM, it will show the names they assign.

Is there a way to generically address the entire MioXM and let it do the routing?

Sure, but I’m not sure why you would want to as you would be restricted to just 16 MIDI Channels. This is really more a mioXL question. You would set up your mioXL routing to route from all of your device ports to a single unused port and perhaps also do some channel mapping. Then on your BomeBox you would determine which device you are addressing based on your mioXL device/channel mapping.

Then in BomeBox, just address the single device that you have mapped everything to.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

My BomeBox arrived yesterday.

A few observations about interfacing BomeBox to an iConnectivity MioXM:

• The BomeBox must be connected to the “To Host” port of the MioXM, not one of the “Host” USB ports. In retrospect this is obvious as the BomeBox behaves like a computer-style USB host.

• MioXM exposes its DIN and USB ports in that order. The 4 pairs of DIN ports are first, then the USBs.

• The USBs are not necessarily in a specific order, where the DIN ports are actually numbered on the Mio’s case. See the next point.

• By “reserving USB host ports” (a procedure done in Auracle, the control software for Mio devices), you set the order of the USB devices. This is essential because otherwise, you won’t be able to consistently address the USB midi devices attached to MioXM.

• Using Auracle, you set the routing of the devices connected to MioXM, including to the virtual ports you’ve now exposed in BomeBox (or in a computer running BMTP).

It may seem a bit complex, but it is worth it. In my rig, 7 Midi devices are now networked into the BomeBox and available for BMTP activity.

I had written a BMTP file to interface with my KMI Softstep foot controller, BeatBuddy drum pedal, Camelot Pro control app and Auria Pro DAW on my iPad, 2 keyboards, synth module, digital mixer and vocal processor. It nearly worked, amazingly. With a bit more debugging of the Midi behavior and the routing, it will be glorious!

The ability to connect either the BomeBox or the BMTP-equipped computer to the network makes debugging pretty straightforward.

BomeBox and BMTP (and the MioXM) are truly amazing kit!

Dov

Hi, actually you are connecting to a device port on the the MioXM and a Host port on the BomeBox. A device port is a USB B type connector and a host port is a USB A type connector. If I remember you can hook multiple USB devices to the host port of the MIO XM and they will also be exposed to the device port so they should be seen by BomeBox through the device port of the MioXM hence the host port of the BomeBox.

Thanks for all of the observations though! This is similar to how my iConnectivity 4+ works.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Thanks Steve!

Commercial here for RTP Midi support.

This would make the BomeBox-MioX? combination that much more powerful.

I agree. I know rtpMIDI is planned for BomeBox. In the mean time between BomeBox and MioXM, you can send between them via USB thereby create a rtpMIDI to BomeMIDI bridge and visa versa.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

12 posts were split to a new topic: BomeBox + mioXM with Direct MIDI ports

Steve,

I tried the solution of routing RTP Midi through the BomeBox via the USB port. It worked perfectly.

I have two configurations now fully operational:

1. Communicate with my iPad through the USB port on my XR18 digital mixer, which routes the DIN midi from the MioXM, in addition to acting as an audio interface for recording.

2. Communicate with my iPad through RTP Midi, when I need the XR18 USB port to connect to a computer. I use an Anker 6 in 1 USB C dongle to provide charging and hardwired Ethernet simultaneously. The dongle also connects to the USB on the mixer when that’s not needed for other applications, described below.

In the iConnectivity Auracle configuration app I routed the iPad via RTP Midi to the USB Host ports exposed on the “To Host” USB jack on the front of the MioXM. Now all the virtual ports I use in either BMTP on my Mac or the BomeBox route just fine.

Incidentally, I use the connection to the Mac for Zoom. I take my piano lessons through Zoom, using the high quality audio mode. My teacher says my Yamaha CP4 sounds like a professionally recorded grand piano this way (in other words, worth the effort).

With this solution I’m controlling my entire rig from the combination of BomeBox, KMI Softstep midi pedalboard and Camelot Pro on the iPad.

I’ve completely customized the behavior of the Softstep using the BomeBox, adding intelligent key toggles, short and long press, and controlling the LED’s and display.

The Softstep/BomeBox combo controls Leslie speed on my YC61, starts/stops recording on my iPad DAW, fully controls my BeatBuddy drum machine and manages next/previous score page and scenes in Camelot Pro (which controls presets on all the gear).

Thanks to BomeBox and the excellent support, I have the rig of my dreams!

BOMEBOX RULES!

Thanks,
Dov

1 Like

Wow, super, then it looks like everything is working. We are also working on Bome Network version for iOS. So maybe with that, you won’t need to use the mioXM as a rtpMIDI to Bome Network Bridge.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Attention making Firmware Update of MioXM through the BomeBox. MioXM will seen through the BomeBox by the Auracle Software (what I did not expected). But when the MioXM reboots as a part oft the FirmwareUpdate the BomeBox will loose the connection and the firmware update does not finalize properly. Fortunately after connecting the MIOXM directly via USB and not the BomeBox the Firmwarupgrade after a reboot of the mix does work.
Anyway in the future it would be better to make firmware upgrades not over the boom box.
After this Update all seems to be correct, but unfortunately I did not get the midi port visible at the Mac side. After a reboot of the Mac all is working now as before…

Yes, I believe iConnectivity also indicates you should directly hook your device up to a computer (without a hub) for the firmware update on the mio device to work properly. At least they call this out on the iConnectivity 4+

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

2 posts were split to a new topic: MOTU Express with BomeBox