BomeBox Network with Switch only +Dante

Hey Guys,

i’ve been using two Bomeboxes to send PCs from Ableton to different positions on stage during festivals this summer. For most shows everything worked perfectly fine, but for some, one or sometimes even both boxes couldn’t be connected.

Since i thought that ip addresses not matching could be a reason, i switched the boxes to fixed ip addresses, but then the MacMini couldn’t connect to the internet anymore and it totally messed with the dante network (i send the backing tracks directly to the Rio via Dante).

I don’t understand why the setup doesn’t work consistently. for the festivals i had the bomeboxes on dhcp mode and connected via ethernet, but with wifi activated.

Does anyone know how to set this up properly?
Many thanks in advance, this has been driving me mad the last couple of weeks…

Hi,

First of all, I wouldn’t set up for fixed IP address as the server may be assigning the same IP address to something else on the network. This is likely why it broke your Mac MINI.

Also, maybe you can tell me what you use as a DHCP server. If you don’t have one, then your devices are likely using APIPA mode which definitely wouldn’t work if you have fixed IP addresses.

Also, if you are using ethernet, you should not also use WiFi as the devices will get quite confused since your BomeBoxes will be assigned different IP addresses for WiFi and ethernet. With this you would have 2 devices on the same network with different IP addresses and the same name.

Finally, if you haven’t already, please download the latest BomeBox firmware (1.5.4) as the latest build has better stability. You can download it from here.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz