BomeBox, Novation SL Mk3 and Components

Well, after “clearing the cache”, deleting and recreating all the Virtual Ports and Routings, it sort of works - I was able to send and receive single sessions and templates from the SL MkIII, although unreliably. Transferring a whole pack of 64 sessions+templates failed after transfer of one or two sessions.

So the initial connection is fine now, it sounds like the issue is now something to do with bandwidth or timing of the subsequent handshakes, which is going to be much harder to sort out. I think I’m just going to give up and resort to swapping cables when doing bulk dumps (and not forgetting to “clear the cache” afterwards).

Thank you for all your help! Sorry for being a pain but it’s a steep learning curve, especially getting my head around the new paradigm of virtual ports and having routings in multiple places (in Bome Network Tool, in MIDI Translator projects and in the Web config).

Do I understand correctly that if I create a project with routings in MTP then upload it to the Bomebox these routings are going to replace the existing routings in the Web config?

And I’ve asked before… Is there a set of MTP projects that I can download and study to understand how to build my own projects? I’m especially interested in MIDI channel-dependent routings (“if on channel 4 send only to Port mio 10 [2], changing the channel to 2”) and MIDI message filtering (“remove MIDI clock Start signals from Port mio 10 [5]”)

Bruno

Hi Bruno,

Yes if you look at our tutorials you will find examples of most of what you are looking for. The descriptions have links to the project files used in the tutorials.

And yes, the active project file will override the routing on your BomeBox when loaded.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Got it, thank you! Successfully built my first test project, routing MIDI channel 9 to my Evolver. I had to create separate translators for Note On, Note Off, Control Changes, Pitchbend and aftertouch. I take that’s the way to do it, there’s no shortcut to do it all in one translator?

Bruno

Yes, you can use a single translator for multiple functions. For instance for 3 byte MIDI message you can have an incoming message as raw oo pp qq .

Then use rules to determine what 3 byte message type it is

Pitch Bend
Note On
Note Off
CC message

For instance, I use these rules to determine if it a note (on or off message)

incoming: oo pp qq
Rules
// Check for note message if rr=0x80 then it is a note message (either on or off)
rr=oo&0xe0
if rr==0x80 then goto “Note Message”
// check for CC message
rr=oo&0xf0
if rr== 0xb0 then goto “CC Message”
// check for pitch bend
rr=oo&0xf0
if rr=0xe0 then goto “Pitch Bend Message”

Note off can be tricky because it can be either 0x8n with any velocity or 0x9n with velocity 0. The n means MIDI CH Number 0-F (MIDI CH 1- 16)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Great, thank you! I promise I’ll be quiet for a bit now and go watch all your videos.

Bruno

No worries. I’m always happy to help! The tutorials are primarily there for the most common questions and having them available to users keeps support costs down. I often times re-answer questions here which I don’t mind but it is always more efficient if users spend more time with previous posts as they tend to internalize the fundamentals much better by some self study.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care