Bug when leave variable to blank

When I delete variable assignment to blank and switch to other translator then back to this the one I left it blank it appear that the rule is duplicate with if/then rule.

I have attached video to make this more clear. Is this a bug? If not, any other way I can leave it blank since I want to just use it as template and copy the translator and fill in the value later.

Version 1.9.0 build 1020

TIA!

Hi, if you see red background in a rule, it means the rule is invalid and will not be saved. You must complete the rules until red goes away. If you want to leave something as a template you can use a construct like this.
pp=pp

Which of course will do nothing and should flag you that it meant to be changed when you come back to it.

All rules must be valid to be proper saved. This is intended behavior to reduce possibility of creating and saving projects with invalid rules.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

I understand the intention to made it unable to save. But can you explain why xx value in first line stay the same when I switch back and forth between translator while other line which has if/then rules create a duplicate when switching translator?

I mean I left the rules

if gd==1 then yy=

but when I switch translator back and forth it change to

if gd==1 then if gd==1 then yy=

Is this also intended? If yes, please explain what the benefit of adding more invalid rules

No that is not intended, however the root cause is that you have invalid rules so the issue will not occur if you insure you do not leave the translator when there are invalid rules present. You can determine if invalid rules are present by the red background.
The line with the red background below has an invalid (incomplete) rule.
The yellow indicates the current line
White indicates lines with valid rules but not the current line.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

As I understand, MT Pro auto saves periodically, like when you leave one translator and go to another, and you would not want to auto save bad rules as if you did, it would corrupt the file upon reloading.

I’m checking to see if there is an opportunity to change the behavior however I think it would likely be difficult and for now best to make sure rules are valid (with a valid placeholder) or use a text editor to keep your incomplete rules.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

1 Like

Thank you for a really fast reply. I also suggest to have a highlight color when drag select text when the rules is not valid. In current version when drag to highlight the text it stay red and make it difficult to keep up with cursor.

Good idea!

Hi @madsterfilm, your bug report and your suggestion are welcome and will be fixed in the next release. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi again, we’ve released 1.9.0 build 1022 with a fix for these issues.