Calling PTZ Optics Camera Presets & Controlling BMD ATEM via BOME MIDI

Our church uses ProPresenter, PTZ Optics Cameras, Black Magic Design ATEM Television Studio HD, and Jands Vista lighting software. We currently send a MIDI message to our Vista lighting system from ProPresenter, and it works perfectly. However, when I try to set this this up to send MIDI messages to our PTZ Optics Cameras and the BMD ATEM to automate camera presets and camera switches, nothing seems to work. I am out of my depth here. I cannot find a single MIDI mapping online of the ATEM to tell me which numbers to send, and the PTZ cameras will not receive the MIDI numbers.

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

This is definitely not a Bome Question, However there are several possible solutions out there. The one that comes to mind at first is BitFocus Companion. I think they include modules for both ATEM Switch and PTZ Cameras, neither which handle MIDI directly.

Bome Software is great for getting the right MIDI messages to a MIDI supported platform however doesn’t itself convert MIDI to other protocols.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Ok, I am very new to the world of MIDI and did not realize I would need something else besides BOME to send MIDI commands from ProPresenter to other software. Do I need to use atemOSC and/or Osculator to go between BOME and the destination software? In other words, if ProPresenter is the source of the MIDI command, would the workflow need to be the following:

ProPresenter MIDI Command >> BOME >> atemOSC/Osculator >> ATEM
ProPresenter MIDI Command >> BOME >> Osculator >> PTZ Optics Cameras

If you are going to use Osculator, you should probably ask them. After it gets out of the MIDI world, Bome is pretty much out of the picture.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

I understand that. My question is, do I need something beyond BOME to send MIDI commands from ProPresenter to the ATEM or my PTZ optics cameras? It sounds like the answer is yes, but I am not sure of my options beyond Companion.

Well since neither ATEM or PTZ cameras accept MIDI, the answer is yes you will need something to convert from MIDI to the protocol of the device. You may also want to look into MIDIMonster or Central Control.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care