Can anyone help me with a usb footswitch programmed for talkback control

Hi

I recently set up a usb footswitch to control my talkback in the UAD console, everything is working fine, but I would like to have the talkback latch while I have my foot down on the pedal, then turn the talkback off when I release the pedal. I currently have the foot pedal mapped to f19, then f19 in bome mapped to CC 105, I am using UA midi controller to then map CC 105 to the talkback.

I searched for the answer in this forum already and could not find anything specific to my issue.

Currently when I press the pedal down, the talkback stays on, then when I press down again, the talkback turns off, I would like to hold down the pedal for the talkback to be on and release to turn it off, not even sure if this is possible but if anyone can help I would appreciate it!

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

Please find the attached. When you press F9, then CC105 is sent on MIDI channel 1 with a value of 127. When you release F9, then CC105 on MIDI Channel 1 with a value of 0 is sent.

Note, that Bome MIDI Translator does not suppress keystrokes so F9 will still be sent to the currently application in focus. I suggest you disable F9 as any shortcut/hotkey.

For testing, I have my alias set up as follows:

You can learn more about aliases from this tutorial.

F9-CC105-Momentary.bmtp (1.1 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Hi Steve!

Thanks so much for the response, I’ve actually got it set to F19, not F9, does that make a difference?

Mark

Yes, change the incoming trigger from F9 to F19. The first one being key down and the second one being key up.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Ok I don’t think the usb foot pedal I have will allow for a ‘held’ position, I have to press down twice for talk back on then off, was hoping to set it up to where I can hold my foot down on the pedal for ‘on’ and lift up for ‘off’. I don’t think it works that way

Thanks for the help!

This would likely be a problem with the footswitch itself then. It probably send keystroke on press but nothing on release.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

What make and model is your footswitch?

I think you’re right, it’s just a cheap Ollgen usb foot switch from Amazon. How it’s functioning now is fine, not ideal but still better than having to press a talkback button with my finger.

Thanks for the help!

If this is the footswitch, there still may be hope. It looks like it also has a MIDI function.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Yes thats the one, the manual says the drivers need to be installed via a windows computer, don’t have access to one so I had to set it up via Karabina to alter its output from ‘b’ to ‘f19’ then bome to make f19 send a midi cc, its working fine though and I can deal with having to press twice.

Maybe if someday you run into a friend with a Windows computer, you can program it properly. The key thing is to make sure it sends a different message when the footswitch is pressed than when it is released if you want momentary action.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care