Can Bome assign solo to particular channels with LED toggle working?

Hi, this will indeed work if you don’t use the global variable ga for anything else.

Studio 1 should send the right command based on what the X-touch sends. For X-touch it will be a note on with the command note and velocity 127 for on and 0 for off. You may need to use raw MIDI data as output

So for example if you want to light the LED with 90 00 7F, you would turn it off with 90 00 00.
If you use a local variable (like qq), so you could do this

Incoming 90 00 qq from Studio One

You should not need to toggle it as the function on Studio One would already do that but if it.

Outgoing 90 00 qq

The value from studio 1 should be 7f and then 00 if it behaves like a normal solo.

qq is a local variable placeholder which will contain the value coming from the input device or Studio One depending on the preset or translator defined ports.

If coming from Studio One, it will normally toggle between 7F (127) and 0.

Yes it would look like this

Incoming: 90 pp qq

Rules:

if pp>7 then exit rules, skip outgoing action

Outgoing: None

Radio buttons are a bit trickier as you have to track their state with global variables. While free support does not include creating a complete solution for you, I can find an example where I helped another user with radio buttons here. You would need to examine it and learn how it is used and then apply the principles to your project.

If you want me to build a solution for you, it falls outside of free support and I’m available as an independent contractor to help. Please PM or email me if you are interested in purchased support.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Well, it does not lit up the LED and I don’t understand why. Are you saying that when X-touch button pressed, it sends the command to Studio One which should in turn send the LED ON message back to X-touch? For some reason it doesn’t work… The X-touch LEDs lit up when Solo is initiated from Studio One, but not from X-touch.

Can you please assist me with a proper rule to set LED toggle from X-touch back to itself to control LED state? I don’t see any other workaround…

If Studio One is not sending back the right information and you need to control the LED state then you should be able to do it with MT Pro. However sending data from Studio One as well may cause the LED to get out of Sync.

Say you want Solo Track 1 to toggle which should be note 8

Incoming: 90 08 7F from X-touch
Rules:
// toggle value
ga=ga^127
Outgoing: 90 08 ga to X-touch

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Can I use any other non-global (local) variable in this rule? Is it better to use a local variable?

My understanding is that local variables are: pp qq rr ss tt uu vv ww xx.

No, local variables are non persistent. Their value is unknown unless set by the rule or incoming trigger and the value disappears when the translator is finished.

In contrast, a global variable starts out with a value of 0 when the project starts and stays persistent until it is changed. So you need to use a global variable and in the case of toggling, you will need a different one for every value you want to persist.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

So should there be ga for each toggle button, or should I use different global variables for each button? Sorry, I still don’t understand variables well enough.

Also, I really appreciate your help, but could you please open Studio One one more time with X-touch and try to figure out why Studio One is not sending MIDI back to X-touch for LED signaling? Maybe there’s a setting I’m missing?.. Should all MIDI devices pass incoming MIDI to output by default? I asked om a Studio One group and forum but got no reply.

For MT Pro toggle control, each button will require a different global variable.

This is how I mapped Solo in Studio One for the generic controller. When pressing solo in Studio One the Solo light is toggling correctly. However it may be because the Mackie Command is also being sent to BMT 1. It appears that Studio One is only sending CC value of 0.

Video

This is the project file I used.

Test-2 Rule-sjc-2022-08-08.bmtp (3.5 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Since custom mode in Studio One doesn’t seem to be able to have better feedback control, you may want to just use the Mackie feedback commands to handle the LED feedback states . You could set up translators for those commands or perhaps just let MIDI through routing do it’s thing.

It works in my case, too: clicking solo in Studio One makes X-touch button light toggle correctly. But when I press the button on X-touch - then LED on the button pressed in X-touch does not lit up. Also, please try with non-solo X-touch button since those are controlled by Mackie protocol.

Please assign a non-solo button of X-touch to a solo in Studio One and see of light on X-touch goes on when that button is pressed.

I have no idea how to program Mackie xml… I’m assigning non-solo buttons in X-touch to trigger solo of channels that are not part of the faders of X-touch. For example: F6, F7, F8 to control solo of busses 20, 21, 22 while faders/channel buttons of those busses are not controlled by x-touch. So it’s pretty much impossible to reprogram that xml to do so, at least not for me. I’d have to intercept Mackie solo commands of busses 20, 21, 22 and translate them to F6, F7, F8 of X-touch…

Hi,

You might want to find out from Studio One how to send back MIDI feedback from generic buttons. With that said, in this version I take the feedback programmed into the generic controller and toggle the Solo Value of track 4 using MT Pro. The translator is 1.2 and looks for any incoming value for CC 61 from Studio One and converts it to Mackie Solo Channel 4 after toggling.

Test-2 Rule-sjc-2022-08-09.bmtp (3.3 KB)

I really cannot comment on how Studio One can properly control MIDI feedback.

This might work for you for INST assignment.

I am passing through the value of the INST button to CC 61 on MIDI CH 2 to Studio One.

Translator 0.1

I am then taking CC 61 MIDI CH 2 from Studio 1 and converting it to INST on your Mackie Controller allowing toggle.

Translator 1.1

Again there is a risk that Studio and your Inst LED will get out of sync since Studio One does not seem to know or send the proper value of the control. It is a shame that Studio One cannot learn buttons and has to use CC.

Test-2 Rule-sjc-2022-08-09a.bmtp (3.3 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

This one has another translator that handles local feedback from the X-touch so either X-touch will toggle the feedback or pressing the learned button in Studio One will also toggle feedback.

I only set it un for the INST button and LED. I also tested it with my X-touch Compact and Studio One (4).

Test-2 Rule-sjc-2022-08-09b.bmtp (3.7 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Sorry but none of the above presets work properly :frowning:

No LED in this one…

No LED either.

LED toggles in reverse in this one. :frowning:

I don’t understand the RAW MIDI Concept so I can’t check if the values in your presets correspond to my actual X-Touch… So unfortunately my understanding of how BMT works isn’t enough to see where the discrepancy between your presets and my actual unit may be :frowning: … I understand that you can’t really program it without having the actual unit on hand instead of working ‘blindly’…

Local feedback could be a problem because Studio One will be controlled over internet and connection interruptions may cause sync issues like you said, so I need to try avoiding it at all costs, but don’t know how…

…Should I just revert to my original preset with local feedback into X-touch without RAW MIDI and using this rule: ga=ga^127 ??? Only with proper port Aliases?

You don’t have to program in XML. Most Mackie buttons send note on with value 127 and use note-on with value 127 for LED on and note-on with value 0 for LED off. Generally you just need to look at the note number each button sends and that is the same note number you would use to turn the LED on or off back to the controller.

Note on in Raw MIDI for MIDI CH 1 (which Mackie uses) is 90 pp qq where these are hexadecimal representation For example 90 08 7F is Solo On and 90 08 00 would be note off for Track 1. Just push your buttons and use the MT Pro log window to see what is coming from each button, then you will know what you need to turn the LED on or off remotely (using the same note number).

If you remotely push the button in studio one then it will work correctly. This is an example of how things can be out of sync.

Perhaps. the value of 127 in hexadecimal will show as 7f. Search on ‘hex calculator’ to convert decimal to hex and visa versa. I typically use raw MIDI because Bome will complain if you try to send a note-on with a value of 0.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

I tried that, there are multiple note on messages coming in in hexadecimal format when a solo button is clicked in Studio One, I tried to set every one of them as incoming and convert it to the proper LED note on, but that didn’t work…

This was way more off sync compared to other presets, right from start.

Is this the only difference between raw MIDI and selecting note/cc in menu for my purposes? The ability to select note off as zero?

It is. Unfortunately I must stick with Presonus Studio One for integration with their digital mixers. I gave up trying to request features be added in Presonus software, if they don’t think that a feature is needed, they ain’t gonna implement it… It’s pretty leading forward company introducing exciting features, but requesting a fix or a new feature from them is a waste of time.

Yes if you press solo on your X-touch to Studio One, it will send back Solo for the track that you pressed and then mute for all other tracks. You need to pay attention and look only at MIDI incoming from you X-touch.

I pretty much use Raw MIDI for other reasons as well. The big one is if I want a single translator to handle both a note-on and note-off event. I can use rules to filter out everything else and do things with a single translator instead of 2 translators.

Yes, as I said, this will be an issue since Studio One only sends CC with value of 0 and doesn’t send CC with the value of on or off so it is difficult to keep MT Pro in sync with Studio One because of incomplete information.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

What is the least expensive of these 3 Bome’s network products would I need for my purposes (3 MIDI ports between 2 Windows computers over the internet)?

Bome Network Pro will work with up to 5 computers. The number of MIDI ports will depend on the number of devices or virtual ports you have on a given computer. If you need more virtual ports you an purchase Unlimited Named Virtual Ports.

The iOS version is for iOS devices (and BomeBox) only. You would need also the PC/Mac version if you want to talk MIDI between iOS and computer.
The free PC/Mac version is for communication with BomeBox and computer only.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

5 posts were split to a new topic: Note Off Timer after 250ms