Can Bome MIDI Translator work with IP MIDI devices?

I want to connect Behringer X-touch and X-touch Extender (both of which can work over LAN) to Bome MIDI Translator. Is it possible? If so, can you provide instructions on how to do it? I can’t use USB or traditional MIDI protocols in my situation (why so - a subject for another topic).

Hi,

If I remember X-touch network support includes RTP MIDI so yes, this can be done. You would just have to configure Bome MIDI Translator Pro to send and receive to the RTP MIDI device that the RTP MIDI software creates. Bome MIDI Translator would see this like any other MIDI port.

For Mac, RTP MIDI is included. For Windows, you have to download it as a separate piece of software.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Aghhh… I didn’t want to get back to rtpMIDI because it’s UDP and thus not really suitable for use over the internet. I’m using Bome Network Pro and having some serious connection issues and Florian is trying to fix them, but obviously I don’t know if he will succeed. I’m using a USB connection in that setup.

Is there a way for Bome developers to consider implementing direct IP connection of Bome MIDI Translator to IP MIDI devices without the use of rtpMIDI ? That way I could try using OpenVPN to connect local X-touch to remote Bome MIDI Translator via an IP protocol.

Allen and Heath Protocol is raw MIDI. I’m not sure if it is UDP or TCP. It is built with self discovery of certain A&H products only so you might want to try that if you have a BomeBox and set it up with a manual connection. You would need a BomeBox for this.

You might also look at PureData which you could create your own visual scripting for MIDI over ethernet.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Thanks. But is there a chance that Bome might implement direct connection of Bome MIDI Translator to IP devices?

No, not at this time.

Here is a script I did to talk to an Allen and Heath Raw MIDI device from my Windows PC Using PureData. It should be fairly simple to set up if you don’t mind using PureData.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

At first glance, PureData seems complicated and my knowledge in programming is exactly zero. Even learning Bome MIDI Translator was difficult for me. I wish PureData had a ready to use solution.

Do you even know if the X-touch support raw MIDI data streams? I could find no reference to anything but RTP MIDI in their user manual.

Steve

Unfortunately, I don’t… :frowning:

Does the fact that we are using raw MIDI from X-touch in Bome MIDI Translator help us understand if X-touch supports raw MIDI data?

Not at all. MT Pro see it as a MIDI device which have totally different transport mechanism than a network interface device.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

1 Like

There is a long term plan to allow the user to set up raw UDP and TCP connections from both Bome Network and BomeBox (and we’ve just recently updated the internal architecture to make this very easy to add to the software/firmware). But I doubt this would help you, because I’d be surprised if X-Touch devices supported raw UDP or TCP.

Thank you.