Can I share a USB MIDI Controller with 2 computers with Bome Network Pro?

Hi, I would like to know if I can share a USB MIDI controller (say, for example a fader controller) between 2 computer by running Bome network Pro on both, without a Bome Box. Let’s say I have a Mac and a PC and my Fader controller is connected to the PC and I would like to use it on the Mac (not at the same time). Can Bome Network Pro do this? Do I need to buy the unlimited ports license to have this functionality or the Bome Network Pro is enough?

Hi and welcome to the Bome Community!

Yes, you can do this. Bome Network Pro has Remote Direct MIDI Ports so this should work.

Say computer A has a local MIDI port called “APC-40” and you want to access it from computer B.

On computer B , go to your Bome Network tool and click on Computer A.

If Computer A and is connected, you can then select “APC-40” and then it will show as “Computer A:APC40” on computer B and you can use it as long as the port is not currently being used by another application on Computer A.

If you want to simultaneously share ports then you would need to add “Unlimited Named MIDI Ports” and then create and route ports so that each computer has a different port routed to and from your target controller.

I hope this helps

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Hi Steve and thanks a lot for your reply! So, just to check that I understood everything correctly (I’m not a native English speaker), with Bome Network Pro I should be able to do this, as long as I keep the MIDI port free on the computer were the controllers are connected. I could also use the controllers on both computer at the same time if I also buy an unlimited MIDI ports license that isn’t part of the Bome Network pro license; correct?

Yes,

For Unlimited MIDI ports, I do this (on the same computer) to accept data from my FaderFox EC4 from three separate applications. The only difference would be that you would instead be routing from Remote MIDI direct port.

In the above example my FaderFox EC4 on the left will send to all three virtual ports I created on the right. It would then be up to the applications to determine what to do with the incoming MIDI data.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Thanks again, using a controller connected to pc on my mac thanks to Bome Network Pro works!
What I’ve noticed is that controller that have to be “recognized” by the software they are meant for (like my Steinberg CC 121 for Cubase) don’t work with this type of connection because I think they have to be physically connected to the computer via USB, so they work as generic MIDI controllers instead, but this is understandable, I suppose. Regarding this, is it possible to have some form of translation, i.e. remapping of MIDI data in Bome Network Pro? I know this can be done with MIDI translator Pro, I’ve just tried it with the Translator Pro demo version, but I was wondering if is it possible to load the translation inside the network pro software. I’ve noticed in the settings that there’s the Advanced MIDI Router option, but I haven’t been able to realize what it does and I can’t find a manual for the Bome Network Software

Hi,

Bome Network Pro does not do any MIDI translation so in order to achieve what you want, you would need to used Bome Network Pro with unlimited MIDI ports for static routing and then Bome MIDI Translator Pro to translate from generic MIDI to Mackie MCU protocol which Cubase will recognize. The issue is not that of direct connection to USB but more of the MIDI messages that are recognized by Cubase on any given connection.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

That will work for emulating a Mackie Control, but CC 121 or Nektar Panorama P1 and others are dedicated controllers that I discovered need to be physically connected to the computer; you can’t even add a CC 121 to Cubase Studio Setup if it’s driver is not installed and if the hardware it’s not physically connected via USB.
I’m curious, could you please give me an insight on what the “Advanced MIDI Router” options is in Bome Network?

Hi, I think Cubase Studio and other controllers look at the port name for connecting so you might be able to create a virtual MIDI port with the same name as the native controllers port name (if the controller is on a different host). And then create a route between the Remote MIDI Direct port and then newly created virtual port name.

IN Hostb:APC40 —> OUT: APC 40 Virtual Out

For advanced MIDI router. Most people just route an in to an out which acts like a MIDI Pipe, but you can do some more things with advance like routing In to In Out to Out, Out to InI addition to In to Out. I typically don’t use the other options but on occasion, find how they might be useful.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care