Can't Hear Reaper (Win.) Hosted Audio Sound AS I Compose In LPX Score Editor Using Mac 5 Pin Midi MK3 61 Connected To Mac

Hi, dkwmycell here again.

Since my very first forum post (below), I’ve come a LONG way, almost everything is now working on my Routed Midi Network DAW, between my Win. 10 (1909) PC, & my Mid 2012 Macbook Pro (Updated to the maximum Pro Catalina 10.5.7 for Intel 64 Builds), with Bome Virtual Network & Unlimited Named Virtual Midi Ports.

As a refresher, I’m using Win. Reaper to host for all of my Sounds & Plugins, & Logic Pro X 10.6.3 (LPX) on my Macbook Pro to Compose-Record Input in Score Editor, then play it back. That said, the Bome Virtual Midi Playback of the Logic Piece, as networked/routed to Reaper Win. that was previously composed, works fine too.

I’m using my new, M-Audio MK3 61 Keystation going Midi OUT from a 5-Pin Midi Din cable, connected to the Midi IN of my new UA Volt I interface, AS I try to compose notes in LPX Score Editor. The USB Midi OUT on the MK3 61, has been defeated to use only the 5 Pin Midi DIN cable connection, only.

And the Macbook Audio-Midi Setup for both the MK3 61 & UA Volt I ARE working.

However, despite the proper configuration in LPX for a External Midi Keyboard Controller Software Inst. track, & Inst. track (armed), respectively, for Midi Input ONLY (LPX Control Surfaces are un-needed so are disabled), & the actual track/part I want to compose IS armed, I CANNOT hear any sounds AS I play/enter/compose the notes within the LPX Score Editor or Piano Roll using the MK3 as a Midi Controller, as a monitor method, which is crucial.

Now the MK3 61 CAN played enter notes in the LPX Piano Roll Keyboard, & in armed part in the Score Editor, with both required Midi Out enabled, & the Midi Environment ‘Click & Ports’ cabled connections for the MK3 61, UA Volt I, & Bome Port for playback looking as they should. But stiill no sound as I’ve AS I’m entering the notes, as stated . This particular lack of sound also extends to the LPX built-in Midi Keyboard Controller.

In troubleshooting this particular issue, I’m using the proces of elimination, THIS is where Bome comes in:

If you can look at all of my screenshots, I’m wondering if all of the Bome Ports you can see particularly on the Windows side that represents the MK3 61 or UA Volt I, are necessary to enable, or just not needed, since they are heard-connected. This is my final issue, & as always, any feedback here, would be appreciated, thanks!

Win. 10-Side:
Bome Network (Win. 10) Masked
Bome Midi Router (Win 10) Masked

Mac Catalina-Side:

Macbook Pro Cat. Audio-Midi Setup

First Forum Post:

So it looks like you are using Unlimited Named Virtual Ports which is not necessary since you are using Remote Direct MIDI unless you are simply using them to give them your own names.

However if you decide to change your Network MIDI routes, I recommend you save a backup file from %APPDATA%\Bome\BomeNet.bmts to a file name of your choosing so you can later recover whatever you had that was working.

You probably do not need these routes. On your Windows side for playback simply use the following.

Macbook Pro:LR MIDI01 - For input to Reaper from LPX and
Macbook Pro:LR MIDI01 - For output from reaper

You should be able to select these ports from within Reaper.

On the Macbook Pro side use:

LR MIDI01 - For output from LPX to Reaper
LR MIDI01 - For input from Reaper to LPX

They have the same name but any time ports of this type are created they are really a pair of ports, one for each direction

Then on you Mac you need to select UA1 Volt for Input to LPX

If you also want to play directly from UA1 Volt to Reaper then on Windows add

Macbook Pro: KeyStation 61 MK3 as a track input to Reaper.

Now if you insist on using virtual ports. Any time you want to use them on a local connection you need to have

IN: Virtual Port → OUT: Virtual Port

to make a pipe for local applications

In contrast when reading a virtual port from a remote location you need to use;

In: Remote Virtual Port → IN: Local Virtual Port

If you are unsure on whether MIDI message are getting through, you can use Bome Network Monitor by dragging up the green bar from the bottom in Bome Network tool on the main page and monitoring the traffic.

See below animation: (my traffic on all Network ports on my Windows PC).

https://i.imgur.com/E8mHI1I.gif

I hope this helps! In a nutshell, in your configuration you probably don’t need Unlimited Named MIDI ports unless you want to use your own names. It is more for creating new connections that don’t exist or for doing complex routing between existing ports or just renaming stuff.

I drew a diagram as reading works is much harder for me than a picture. Hopefully it is accurate.

Oh and to your other question, there is really currently no standalone documentation for Bome Network and Virtual Ports, however this I did do some evaluation (before the product was released) and documented it on this thread in a discussion with another user. The pictures might be helpful but are not a 100% accurate representation, so this is not official documentation.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz