Can't seem to get ableton reading MIDI message to keystroke 'up' command

As in the title: I can’t seem to get Ableton reading a basic MIDI message to keystroke ‘up’ command. It works within the computer i.e. notepad, the browser but can’t seem to get Ableton recognize the command.

Using Bome Classic, loopMIDI, Ableton 10 and Blackstar Live Logic controller

Thanks

Hi, and welcome to the Bome Forum.

Please ensure that Ableton is the focused application. Keys are always sent to the application that is in focus. I just tested it and it worked fine.

Of course, in Ableton Live, you cannot keyboard learn some keys like the up key or down key or left key or right key. They are native to Ableton Live in navigation.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Cheers for the reply Steve, just need some further clarification; are you saying I can’t map the arrow keys in Windows? But you tested it and it works fine? Are you saying use the numpad direction keys instead.

And when you say focused are you reffering to within Bome’s, loopMIDI or just generally in Windows?

Apologies for ignorance

Since you are using keystrokes and not MIDI, loopMIDI, which is a MIDI is not used in this translator.

By focused, I mean you need to click somewhere inside Ableton Live prior to sending your keystrokes as only the application that is selected (if focus), received the keystrokes.

If you are using the native Windows Keystrokes in Ableoton Live, Ableton insists they are for navigation and you cannot override the key mappping for those keys. You can use Ableton Live keymapper if you want to program other keystroke functions. If the keymapper tool does not recognize the key, you will not be able to change that keystroke programming.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Just so we’re defintely on the same page I am using MIDI. I’m using the Blackstar Live Logic midi footswitch controller to command ‘UP’ on the keyboard so that in Ableton I can go up and back to scenes I have launched previously live. Otherwise I think im lost Steve

Cheers

Yes, your MIDI Input should be you Footswitch with no MIDI output (unless you are doing MIDI output for some other functions), but instead sending the up keystroke.

Ableton should react to this (if in focus) just like it reacts to pressing the actual keyboard up key.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

OK got you I have set this up as you say but still no luck. For more information I am using my interface as the MIDI interface (MIDI din from footswitch to MIDI din of interface) as I dont want to use another USB. Could this be the issue. And do you mean I have to have ableton open when I am setting the keystroke other than that ableton is obviously in focus when testing it. Cheers

If you are getting keystrokes in a text editor (when focused) it should also work with Ableton Live.

I tested the functionality on both Bome Classic and Bome MIDI Translator Pro on my Windows 10 machine and it works just fine. I assume you see the incoming MIDI in the log of Bome.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Steve, turns out it was classic Windows bullshit, I just had make sure Bome’s was running as administrator as was Ableton. Really appreciate you helping out anyway, its a beautiful program

Hmm under my system neither Ableton Live nor MT Classic were under elevated mode. It should work if you put them both into normal mode.

Steve