Change midi port name in Ableton Live

Hello,
I’ve been using Bome MIDI Translator Pro for few weeks now. I’ve built a midi controller with an Adruino card : an Adafruit Feather M0. It’s plugged by USB and recognized as a MIDI port in Ableton. Working perfectly well. In the list of ports, it appears as “Feather M0”.
As I’m a school teacher, and it would be easier for the students if the midi port was named like the midi controller’s name : Polychord (easier to chose in the ports list as midi entry).

I can’t find a way in Midi Translator Pro to create a midi entry named “Polychord” in Ableton, receiving midi messages from “Feather M0”. Aliases seem to not be the solution, as in Ableton I always see “Bome Midi Translator virtual midi 1 or 2”.

Is there a way to have a midi entry named “Polychord” instead of “Feather MO” using Midi Translator?

Thanks for your help!

Yves, from France

Hi @Paubert.Yves , and welcome to the forum.

In Bome Midi Translator Pro, we only use the names “Bome MIDI Translator Virtual x” or the short name “BMT x” , depending on how you have short names set up in MT Pro settings.
Bome Network Pro with the add-on “Unlimited Virtual Ports”, allows naming of ports to your liking but may add a bit more complexity to your configuration. You could also use loopMIDI MIDI pipes which allows naming to your liking but again adds complexity.

In both of the scenarios I mentioned above you would use the newly created ports instead of the original “BMT x” ports. With Bome Network Unlimited Virtual Ports, you would also need to to some routing as unlike loopMIDI, the newly create ports are not pipes and have their own flexibility of MIDI routing.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Ok, I’ll try the add-on. It sounds like it suits me needs.
Thanks for the help!

Yves

Sounds good, let me know if you need help with routing.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Tried it few minutes ago, at home : perfect. I’ve sent midi data from an Arduino card and from an Akai MPK Mini keyboard, with a different name in Ableton. Very simple to use : set a new virtual midi and then a route.
I didn’t noticed at first that there is no need to Midi Translator for that, just Bome Network (am I right?).
I’ll try it at school tomorrow. Kids will be thankful to see “Korg” or “Polychord” in Ableton midi input list, and not the name of the sound card or the arduino device. It’s definitely more clear!

Thanks very much (again). Problem solved rapidly with to your quick help!

Yves

Yes for simple MIDI routing and no translations , Bome Network Pro with unlimited virtual ports should be sufficient.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care