Changing the WiFi Network

This is really very strange. I have no idea what is going on. It’s unlikely that both your computer and your mobile device have strange WiFi settings which don’t allow you to access the web config.

Maybe WiFi is misconfigured on the BomeBox, but unlikely if you’ve executed the network reset.

Would you have the possibility to access the BomeBox via Ethernet/Cat5 cable?

Eventually, if you cannot get into the web config at all anymore, a reset is the only thing I can think of right now. A network reset should really be enough. But a factory reset via thumb drive cannot hurt, either. But note that it is only possible if you have already installed the latest firmware version. See the instructions here:
https://www.bome.com/products/bomebox#instructions
For the factory reset, you will have to press the PAIR button as indicated by Luis1 above.
I would really like to know what’s going on…

Hi, just in case, double check your network settings on you computer and make sure you have not changed the discovery port from the default 37000 (which BomeBox uses) to something else.

Here is a screen shot of my Bome Network settings tab.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

No, I cannot access the router by a cable.

I tried to make a factory reset. As I have no access I can’t do the procedure described in the instructions.

I have instead tried to press the pairing button while the network reset runs, according to Luis:

Reference:
“Additionally, during start-up with the USB thumb drive plugged into the
BomeBox, both the Power LED and Pair LED will blink for 10 seconds.
The factory reset will be executed by pressing the Pair button now . If you
don’t press the Pair button, start-up of the BomeBox will proceed normally.”

This sentence, by the way, I could not find in the instructions, and the two LED did never blink together, so I don’t know exactly when to press the pair button.

Anyway, it did not help either.

I can remember, however, that when I first got the BomeBox, I tried to set it up according to the instructions, without connecting the cable, and this did not work either. Only after I used the cable once, I was able to use it without the cable.

I think I got a bad box now. Would you be so kind and send me another one (as replacement, value 0€) and I’ll send you mine back.

Hi, I have forwarded your request on. In the meantime. Here are the most common problems with network reset

1. Using letter O (oh) instead of number 0 (zero) in the serial number. Needs to be all digits not letters.
  2. Try another thumb drive. For some reason some larger thumb drives don’t work
  3. If reset file created with windows, make sure extensions are shown. If not shown sometimes it will create .txt.txt file instead of just .txt
  4. Too many or not enough digits in the reset file.
  5. Typo on the reset file name

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Hi,
sorry to hear of all this trouble. Please see my post above. Only the factory reset requires pressing the PAIR button. The network reset will execute on its own, and signal the reset procedure by turning off the power LED for 2 seconds during start-up.

Anyway, I’ll contact you via email regarding a replacement.

Hi Florian,

I’m back at home now and upon connecting the cable my BomeBox works again as it should, and I’m very happy about it. I think we can wait with the replacement until I plan a similar trip again, which will not be very soon, where I can study the whole thing again.

I just wonder if any other user succeeded in changing the wifi network without the use of the cable connection at any time. Is there anyone?

Best, Alexander

Hi Alexander, thanks for the positive message! I still don’t know what was happening. Configuring via WiFi is, sort of, the standard way. And yes, our offer for a replacement stands.