Classic or Pro for jog wheel

Hi! I need to use an Arturia Beatstep with Davinci Resolve, translate some shortcut and use the jog wheel to play the video. Is possible to do it with the classic version? Is any tutorial to do it? Thanks!

Hi and welcome to the forum! Well you might be able to “get away” with it on Classic but you will certainly not have the same level of control. Here is a comparison of the versions. The biggest thing I see missing from Classic is the ability to create rules (conditional processing). Timers are also pretty key when it comes to ensuring proper timing of keystrokes for various applications.

If you search this forum, you should be able to find examples. Search on “Resolve” and “Beatstep”. I’m pretty sure I posted several examples. If you can’t find one, come back to me and I can either help find one or create a new one. The thing you really will need to do is to convert a “relative” encoder from Arturia Beatstep to a keystroke. Generally it takes two translators. One that generates a keystroke for clockwise movement only. And another that generates a different keystroke for counter-clockwise movement only.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz
1 Like

Hi,

This, “Might” work on Classic if you have your Beatstep set for Relative Type 2 with no acceleration.

Relative-Type-2-Arturia-Beatstep to Keystroke.bmtp (1.1 KB) .

I tested with Pro using only the classic feature set.

Update: Since the above was created with Pro, it doesn’t work with Classic. The below version was created in classic so should work OK

Relative-Type-2-Arturia-Beatstep to Keystroke-classic.bmtp (295 Bytes)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

I am using Davinci Resolve 17, and I try the file for the jog wheel and also something simple as play. nothing happens! I need to setup something on Davinci Resolve? Thanks!

Right. Davinci resolve does not understand MIDI so I’m mapping the jog wheel to keystrokes. I’m not sure what keystrokes Davinci Resolve needs for jog left and right so I just mapped to up and down arrows. You will need to see what Davinci Resolve needs and remap them to the correct keys. Then jog wheel will work. You would then need to map other functions to other keystrokes, mouse clicks etc required by Davinci Resolve. Some of the outgoing actions are more complex than others and may require Bome MIDI Translator Pro than classic.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Hi,
I changed outgoing keystrokes from up and down arrow to right and left arrow and it works.
With that said, you need to ensure Davinci Resolve has focus when moving your controller.

At least the shuttle function.

For Play stop you need to send space. First space will play, second space stop and so on.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Hey Steve, is it possible to use a variable for the keystroke output? So instead of having two entries, you can have one entry that does one keystroke if the variable is >63 and another if <63?

No, unfortunately each keystroke output needs it’s own translator. However you can use a global variable and a timer to determine which translator you want to fire.

I made a similar request for variable keystroke outputs but I guess it is pretty difficult due to different keystroke encoding methods used in various countries as well different platforms. I think the request is still on the queue however.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care