Connect fader midi device to Allen and Heath dLive

Well I’m pretty sure the APC40 (even the MK1) is USB class compliant. When you load your project on your BomeBox does it load correctly or do you get an error message on the BomeBox web interface. Could you perhaps show what your MIDI ports page and MIDI routes page shows on your BomeBox and also your Allen & Heath Page and your project page?

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

I dont know how to load into box. Let me check documentation. Maybe this is why it doesn’t work :smiley:

It’s Working :). Perfect. I need know to find the best controler with motorized faders. Do you have some recommendation ? All recent could be connected on usb directly on box ?

I use the Behringer X-Touch Compact. It seems to work fine for me.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Hi steve,
Thanks for your recommendation. I will start with X-touch. before buying, I try the get value from Dlive in order to check if I will be able to set motorized fader to the existing position. Into documentaton https://www.allen-heath.com/media/AH-MIDI-Control-V2.00-Help.pdf they give midi for seting fader lever and another one to get the position of fader. I try to test it with Gain. I use the V pot track control 1and It’s ok for setting gain but impossible to get gain value. I try to use snifer to check message but nothing appears. My dlive as the last firmware. Around the V pot I have led wich give the position of pot. I want to light the position based on value of gain. Do you have any idea ?
thanks,

I just found another one that looks interesting and maybe a more modern design but I’m sure it is also more expensive. ionproaudio Platform-M

Which one, MINI, Compact, Full or extender?

Again, which version of X-touch? Are you using MCU mode or Layer Mode? The LED rings behave differently in different Modes. Also in Layer Mode if you actually want to update the values, you need to make sure the encoder feedback that also updates the encoder value, is set the encoder to a different MIDI channel then the global channel on the X-touch.

I hear there is a way to query all values from the dLive but I’m not sure how to do that and I’m researching further.

In MCU mode, you will likely need to convert whatever the dLive sends from either NRPN or CC to pitch bend which is what the Mackie MCU uses for faders.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Sorry I explain badly. I want to buy X-touch but My test is on APC40. When I start the APC40 I want to have V pot with the existing value.

For new one. I hesitate between Xtouch full , Q con pro G2, MCU Pro and UF8 SSL.
UF8 seems the best ofr me because robust and enough buttons but I don’t kno if fully compatible trhough USB on bome box. .

I know of one user using UF8 as a generic Mackie Controller on Windows and I don’t think he has any special drivers loaded so I think it us USB class compliant but not 100% sure. If it is, then it would work on BomeBox, however you would not be able to use SSL 360 on BomeBox of course because it is a Windows application.

For your APC40, you should be able to send the same CC as it sends from dLive. Maybe used NRPN to CC translator in reverse to update the message from dLive, but I’m not sure 100% if the dLive will send NRPN back.

What have you tried to get the current fader value from your dLive?

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Hi If you send SysEX to dLive in this format.

F0 00 00 1A 50 10 01 pp 05 0B 17 qq F7

Where pp is the Device Base MIDI channel and pp is the fader number is qq.

You should get something like this

Bx 63 01 Bx 62 17 Bx 06 qq

Where qq is the fader value and x is your controller’s base MIDI channel

You should then be able to send the value of your to your encoder

Bx pp qq

Where x is your MIDI channel number of your APC-40 , pp is the encoder number and qq is the value.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Hi steve,
I will test it tomorrow because today I 'm not at home.
I will let you know the result.
Do you know if Mackie MCU MCU PRO and XT PRO - Controllers - MACKIE is compliant with your bome box without PC ? it seems a good controller and maybe a ggod alternative on UF8 SSL.
thanks,

I forget question could you explain pp or qq variables ? is it just memory to store something or is it others thing

I believe they are because the other controllers we were discussion merely emulate the Mackie MCU protocol.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

They are local variables (memory locations). For input, you can use them within a pattern for assigning parts of the incoming message. Then you can manipulate them in the rules section if you would like and then also use them for sending the final values in the outgoing message.

You can learn more information about variables in the user guide (press F1 while within MT Pro and the PDF document will open up).

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

hi steve, I do a quick test.
If I put action on project file open, with raw midi message to Akai with B0 30 7F, then Encodeur go to 100%. Meaning it’s working but I don’t know how to extract value of dlive gain.
Into the document : SysEx Header, 0N, 05, 0B, 19, CH, F7 The unit will then transmit the appropriate Socket Preamp Gain message. but How to get this return in order to put into B0 30 7F instead of 7F ?
I will continue my test tomorrow
Good night

Hi, please tell me what it is returning. I suspect it will be a pitch bend message, if it is it will be in the format of Ex pp qq where x is the MIDI CH, pp is the MSB and qq is the LSB. use qq as the value for sending back to your encoder.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

I do antoher test.
on key stroke A : outgoing
F0 00 00 1A 50 10 01 00 00 05 0B 19 40 F7
reply : E0 40 3D (E0 MP VALUE 00 to 7F)

I don’t know how to get only 3D to put on varibale and they push it on AKAI to B0 30 xx
meaning I receive E0 40 XX need to push value on B0 30 XX.
I don’t know id It’s clear :slight_smile:

Hi @patrice.cognet ,

Look at translator 2.2, 2.3 and 2.4

2.2 will set the pre-amp gain from your APC-40 to your dLive
2.3 will query your dLive with the same knob movement
2.4 will capture the dLive response and update your encoder LED ring.

I set your base channel to MIDI CH 1 in translator 0.6

ga=0

To make things more flexible, I recommend you use a global variable for your base channel and then calculate the offsets from there in your translators.

APC40-to-dLive-Example-2022-04-08.bmtp (3.9 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Hi Steve,
I continue my investigation and I put some information into Excel sheet. I will send you. I bought X touch behringer . I will receive it tomorrow or next week. I will test after to program bome box. I arrived with APC40 to control fader with only one translator and another one for main.
I tested you program for reamp gain and preset the faders and encoders when changind from Main to Aux1 and aux 1 to LR. It dosn’t work. I’m waiting xtouch to investigate more.
What is not very clear for me is how to get value and keep it for another translator. I understand that local variable exist only into the translator (meaning cannot use between 2 translotor on same preset. And I understand that globa variable are availabel into all application (can be send to another translator). but I don’t know how to send query to get valu of fader and then resend to another midi message wich can be totoaly different.
I imagine need one translator to send to dlive request for level of channel 1 this message F0 00 00 1A 50 10 01 00 00 05 0B 17 00 F7, then d live reply B0 63 00 B0 62 17 B0 06 XX if I pur XX into vv, this value cannot be reuse for sending it to APC or Xtouch.
Another question. If I prefer to use one translator for one message and one channel, it’smeaning I will have a lot maybe 100 or 200 per preset. Is it bad for performance ?
Regars

Hi @patrice.cognet ,

I think I can help you. You need translators like this

1. Send query using SysEX of the control you want value for.
  2. Set up another translator too update the fader (or V-POT Ring) based on the returned value.

You could in fact, use a single translator (in each direction) to handle this based on the value that that your fader or V-POT sends. In other words, we use a pattern and then based on that pattern update a different global variable or send the messages to a given V-POT or fader.

If you can provide me an example of:

1. What value you want to query from dLive
  2. What fader or V-POT you want to update when you receive a response.

Then I should be able to show you an example of how it is done.

I found there are some functions that are currently not fully implemented in dLive so make sure you have the latest dLive firmware loaded and I will let you know if the function you are trying has been implemented (if I know). I think the latest dLive firmware is 1.9 .

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

I will also need to know the base channel that you have set up for your dLive.

Steve