Connect fader midi device to Allen and Heath dLive

Thanks,
I have the latest firmware 1.9 and I’m testing all sysex and all midi messages contains into dlive to be sure it’s working. I don’t know yet which note genetares X touch because I don’t receive yet.
I use Midi channel 1 to 4 (seting into D live).

I try to give you some context for understanding. Sorry for my bad english :slight_smile:
In fact I want to have simple control for this moment. I consider I will use PC with complete Dlive director on PC for setting and do the sound check. I want to use X touch just for ajusting on stage during the show.
My idea is the use Fader control for Main and Aux, gain, FX and mute.
I have 4 layers of faders :

• Layer 1 : voice and main instrument (12 faders)
  • Layer 2 : Drums (12 faders)
  • Layer 3 : Aux stereos 6 main faders + Main LR
  • Layer 4 : FX stereo 6 with Main send and Return on the LR or Aux

This is the setting on the director because each layer provide 12 faders but X touch have only 8, except if I add extender (Maybe I will buy it if it’s working fine)
I continue to test all messages that I need at this moment. I use sendSX soft to test if documentation message works for me.

For preamp gain the problem is it’s depend on socket location. D live allows to have differents connexions points. I have no Rack socket because I use DM0. I have 3 Remotes Sockets (16 ins and 8 outs). 2 Boxes connected to DX1/2 and oen box on DX 3/4.
Depends on stage size but mainly voices and KB are connected to box 1, drums on box 2 and bass and gtr and box 3.
I find some message to setup also xtouch screen. Sorry for the long message but I explain the context.
Now what I want to do is :

• on startup use preset for Main LR level (faders controls input level send to Main faders 1-8 and Main contorl general Main LR volume), the screen show the text of channel geting from midi message, mute touch are the mute of channel, select button will be the PAFL of channel and V pot control preamp gain (we can Imagine to have fix to simplify). we can imagine to have xtouch xtend to have enough faders for the dlive director layers. When I click on fader banck arrow, I change to next layers faders. Meaning I startup with voice layer 1 and right arrow go to Layer 2 click agin then Layer 3, click on left arrox come back to layer 2, etc

After there is 8 functon buttons on X touch when I click on F1, I want to change everything to be in Stereo 1 Aux context. Meaning all faders are the volume send to stereo aux. V pot stay the gain (no change), mute buttons no change, samll screen no change. Faders 1-8 are now the volume send to the stereo aux 1 and faders 9 are the main level of stereo aux 1. Same phylosophy when I click on faders back arrows. It change Layers but I the Stereo aux 1 context.

And next step is the FX. I wan tto use 8 others buttons to do the same thing done with Stereo aux but with Stereo FX. Meaning when I click for example on x touch control button (situated below F1 button, it is the stereo fx level. When I change faders 1, it’s change the level of input 1 send to fx 1.

For Aux and FX selection, I can use also small control nanopad Korg instead of function buttons, maybe it will be more simple. pad 1 to 7 of nano pad is aux 1 to 7. Pad 8 is Main LR and pad 9 to 16 are the FX selection.

I send you my excel midi message testing (not finished).

I hope it’s more clear now. I know its not simple to understand context by words.

Thanks,
Pat

This is definitely outside of the scope of free support on this forum. I can provide one or two examples but not a full mapping. For a full mapping, I would probably also need a dLive to test against. Also there are a few functions that you cannot remotely query as they are not yet implemented (so A&H tells us). PAFL is one of them.

If you need help here, just pick one and I’m happy to provide the best help I can (not having a dLive).

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

I understand and I don’t ask you to do for me but just way to implement it. Because Fader to Main are more simple, I prefer to have the way to manage the preamp gain by sending query to Dlive and query reply and then set V pot of Xtouch to the value received.
Could you tell me also reply my previeous question about number of transaltor ?

Another question. If I prefer to use one translator for one message and one channel, it’smeaning I will have a lot maybe 100 or 200 per preset. Is it bad for performance ?

Thanks

OK, try this.

When project is opened (or you press Alt-F1) it will query the dLive for the fader positions using an iterative timer. (Translators 0.3 and 0.4)

When dLive returns the value we convert and send it to the X-touch (translator 2.0)

When we move a fader, we convert it into what dLive expects (translator 1.0)
Shortly after, we re-query dLive and then send the results back to the X-touch (translator 1.1)

I set ga as the base channel for use for dLive (translator 0.1)

In answer to your question about translators and efficiency they are highly efficient so I would not worry about performance no matter how many you have. I usually, however group them by function for ease of maintenance. As you can see I have a single translator that handles 8 faders.

dLive-Query-Faders-Example-2022-04-15.bmtp (2.7 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Thanks,
I use your project. Somthing move but doesn’t work maybe due to the mode of wtouch I use (CTrl).
But I can use it to do myself.
I already manage Faders, mute and I try to write on scribbles strip. no result for that I try the sysex given by somebody on internet but not’s working yet.
Now I have to do myself. Thanks for your support Steve.

Hi @patrice.cognet

Put your X-touch in Mackie MCU mode (not Mackie HUI) and it should work.

I hope this gets you started!

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

1 Like

I will find :slight_smile:
For the moment LR faders OK, and Aux Faders quite ok.
Juste an error because program codes decimal value in 1 caracter instead of 2.
Midi receive
B0 pp vv
Rules
pp = pp -70
Send
F0 00 00 1A 50 10 01 00 00 0D pp 02 gs vv F7
but in the log the real message sent is
F0 00 00 1A 50 10 01 00 00 0D 0 02 40 3F F7
only one 0 instead of 2. strange

I’ve never seen this but I’m not concerned because the value going out is correct and the log is only a hexadecimal representation of what is going out which is serial binary.

Did you say that this single zero is what Bome MIDI Translator showed as output?

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

no it’s ok. It’s just the log into rule which put one 0 instead of 2. my error was on Hex to dec. into rule variables are in decimal instead of outgoing which are in hex.
I already program all aux and LT, and I’m seraching how to manage mute. because xtouch send only one note when we click (it’s not a toggle). I have to manage that by checking before the status of led to no if I send 3F of 7F… :slight_smile: but it’s developper problem now . :wink:

You probably need your X-touch to toggle a bit map with the LED state.

See this post on bit manipulation.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Thanks it’s usefull.
and if you want to test if value can be 2 value and don’t know how to do.
for example you want to test if value of control is 7F or 3F
if I use test and exit rules, second in not tested.
It’s for mute, dlive reply 3F when Mute OFF and 7F when ON.
I try to avoid 2 translator. I put vv for value but into rule I can’t test 2 vlues no ?
thanks,

You can use a raw midi message in one translator like this.

First set rules so that qq is either 0x3f (for off) or 0x7f (for on)
pp will be the note number

90 pp qq 90 pp 00

So for note 32 (20hex) you will get
90 20 3F 90 20 00 - for on
or
90 30 7F 90 20 00 - for off

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Hi Steve,
this is what I tryied to do but you cannot test on 2 values.

if I use that
if qq !=63 then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action
if qq !=127 then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action
because if I have 127, the first rule exit translator

I tryid
if oo !=63 && oo !=127 then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action
but not working
At this moment I do 2 translators.
Regards

Try this:

if oo==63 then skip next rule
if oo!=127 then exit rules, skip outgoing action

See this post for more examples.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Hello Patrice, good afternoon, I would like to know if you were able to complete the commands and the table. I really need to have the midi cod for sen on fader for aux or softkeys.

Hi @rodrigo.monitormix ,

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

If you can tell me which fader you want to use on your controller and what MIDI message your controller sends (use the Log input from Bome MIDI Translator if you need to see it. Then post a copy), and let me know which control you want to move on your dLive with that fader, then I’m sure I can help. I assume you are communicating with your dLive with a BomeBox over ethernet, correct?

If you want Patrice to be copied, you usually need to tag the user name @patrice.cognet for the user to see it. If your request is different than hers, I may end up moving this discussion to a new thread.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care