Connected but nothing visibly happening

We are a church moving away from rtpMidi to commuicate between a macbook running ableton, and a third machine running M-PC Lighting (Onyx) software on windows.

All machines are saying connected but I see no evidence of any midi messages sending anywhere.

please help.:blush:

in rtp Midi we had to create a session for them all to connect to, is there a similar step I am missing with Bome Network Pro?

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

Once the computers are connected. You can click on it and it will show the MIDI devices on that computer. For instance, in the below example I’m connect from my main computer to a computer called ‘Steve-Gaming’. If I click on it, it will open up a view of all ports attached locally to that computer.

Now I can access this MIDI ports on my main computer using the names ‘Steve-Gaming:Port Name’. These are called Remote Direct MIDI ports and behave exactly the same as local MIDI ports.

No, unlike rtpMIDI, with Bome Network you do not have to establish additional ‘sessions’.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Thanks for the quick response. Prior to seeing it, I was able to get Ableton talking to ProPresenter machine. I was able to get ProPresenter to talk to the computer that has the lighting console, but I must need to enable to port for the lighting software specifically but when I try to do that from the ProPresenter machine it won’t allow me toggle on the Lighting Midi Port

Are you on a Windows machine? Perhaps another application on your machine is holding that port open and on Windows, two applications or devices cannot talk to the same MIDI port. In that case, open any other MIDI applications, and make sure they are not using the same MIDI port that your lighting console is trying to access.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Yes. On a windows machine. That probably is what’s happening here… thanks for giving me a lead to go on. To clarify, you’re speaking of the receiving machine? Or the sending machine?

Can two separate machines send to the same host machine? (i.e. Ableton could send a lighting cue from a Mac OR ProPresenter could send a lighting cue?).

Ok, that was it. Showcockpit was preventing M-PC Lighting from receiving the signal.

Is there a way to create a virtual device to send the same signals to Showcockpit? For context, I was able to send midi notes via rtpMidi from ProPresenter to M-PC and ShowCockpit (both on the same machine). M-PC fired lighting and ShowCockpit actually manipulated our Blackmagic Switcher. At the moment, this is still eluding me.

I think this is what I need to do. Sorry, I’m asking so many questions. Your doing that from your host (sending) machine? and enabling the ‘Remote Midi port’ on your receiving machine?

You can do this in two ways.

1. Get the addon for BomeNetwork called Unlimited Named MIDI Ports.
    Then create 2 virtual ports and then route the from the input of your Remote Direct MIDI port to the output of each of the two virtual ports you created.

In the below example I’m routing my APC40 MKII to two virtual ports. Each application would access it’s own virtual port.

1. Get Bome MIDI Translator Pro and then use the routing feature of it to route from your Remote Direct MIDI port to Bome MIDI Translator Virtual Ports. With this you will be limited to 9 ports with the names provided (you can’t change the names), however Bome MIDI Translator Pro can also do complex MIDI translation.

In the below example I’m routing my FaderFox EC4 to two separate virtual MIDI ports which each application can access.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Option 1 did the trick. You’re my hero. Thanks for your help

1 Like